Lasairfiona Smith's Reviews > The Riverrun Trilogy

Jan 25, 10

bookshelves: chris-likes, havereadin2009
Recommended to Lasairfiona by: Chris
Read in January, 2009

The first book in the trilogy, Riverrun, is a trip. The poems at the beginning of each new section is provocative and sets the mood for the ever shifting realities. The style does lend itself to a dreamlike read complete with ellipses as the scenery shifts rather than just changing suddenly. Every once in a while, a word choice would kick me out of my bit of trance. Perhaps it is just when it was written or that the author really wanted to get across that these main characters are just kids, but I am not a fan of dreamlike description, dreamlike description, fantastical creature, "rad!" It seems incongruous. The ending also seems very sudden. It is like the author ran out of pages or needed a break before the planned second book. Hopefully the second book picks up well.

Okay, I finished this series a while ago. Sorry about the late update.

It is WEIRD. It is a total trip. The family is separated and they are trying to save the others and they are dead and they are floating and they are going to save the universe and it is just WEIRD! If you are in the mood for something quite odd and floaty and don't mind some slow and a bit incongruous writing, go for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Riverrun Trilogy.

01/19/2009 page 160
25.64% "Started the second book. It doesn't have a good start but considering how the first ended, I'll go with it."