Jessica Day's Reviews > Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1

Avatar by Gene Luen Yang

Oct 16, 12

Read in October, 2012

How could I not read and review a spin off series that takes place where Avatar's third season ended? I have loved the world of Avatar since I was a little kid watching it on the floor of my grandmother's living room. Needless to say, it holds a special place in my heart so I can get a little...obsessive. I'm very critical of any spin offs or fanfiction that stems from my favorite television show (in other words, I think that the M. Night Shyamalan version of Avatar was a disgrace). Still, I pass these graphic novels/mangas on with my stamp of approval. The artwork isn't perfect, but I like the representation. My pet peeve would be the way Zuko and Katara were drawn. They each just looked different in a weird way. Honestly though, that was the only thing that bothered me. The new writer captured the dialogue of the characters perfectly. They're still sassy and funny in the quirky way that attracted me to the show. The character of Sokka was spot on! Basically, if you're a fan of the television series, this is definitely worth picking up. Especially because if you're like me you want to know what happens with Zuko's mother!
~Jess

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avatar.