Dolly's Reviews > Mossy

Mossy by Jan Brett

1019021
Oct 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012, childrens, science, gardens-flowers, historical-fiction
Recommended for: parents reading with their children
Read on October 15, 2012, read count: 1

We love turtles and love to find books about turtles, so we were very excited to read this story. And we were also excited to see that the book is written and illustrated by Jan Brett. We have read many of her books and were thrilled to see a new one. It's a departure from her typical Scandinavian-themed stories and illustrations, and we loved it.

This is a lovely tale about an interesting turtle who ends up growing a garden on her back. A biologist brings her to a museum to live, but Mossy misses her home and her new friend. The illustrations are the highlight of this story and our girls insisted on picking out their favorite creatures among all the border illustrations...for every page. The story harkens back to an older time and gives a nostalgic feel to the book. The ending is very sweet and we really enjoyed reading this book together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mossy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn I'm glad you enjoyed this, Dolly. I was lucky enough to see Jan Brett speak about this book last week when her book tour came to town. She seemed very nice and eager to engage the children and inspire them to cherish their own unique creativity when it comes to writing and illustrating.

Dolly I would love to see her speak sometime.

Lisa Vegan I would have loved to see her speak about this book. I'm glad you were impressed with her, Kathryn.

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "I would have loved to see her speak about this book. I'm glad you were impressed with her, Kathryn."

Thanks, Lisa. I felt so lucky to be able to see her. I'm glad you were at least able to read the book and liked it so well.