Toby's Reviews > We are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball

We are the Ship by Kadir Nelson

Feb 10, 09

bookshelves: children-s-award-winner
Read in January, 2009

An art book that would not be out of place on Michigan Avenue coffee tables, and yet We Are the Ship perfectly fits the CSK critera to portray some aspect of the African-American experience that "motivates readers to develop their own attitudes and behaviors as well as comprehend their personal duty and responsibility as citizens in a pluralistic
society."
Clearly, We Are the Ship was a labor of love, of years of research, with a friendly narrator designed to hold a conversation with child readers in order to engage their interest. Winner of the CSK Author Award and Honor for the CSK Illustrator Award, I'd wondered if any award committee had ever given two medals to the same person for the same book in the same year. The Sibert award seemed perfect however, honoring the book as a complete package, until I found out that there are factual errors in the text. Maybe fact-checking could be the perfect library research project?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We are the Ship.

message 1: by Karrie (new) - added it

Karrie I just ordered this book for my library and am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.

Brandy Toby, we had it on the table for our Mock CSK discussion as in the illustrator catagory, but many of us liked the writing so well, we "wrote it in" to take the author award. Sadly, we didn't rally quite enough support in our little discussion, but the real committee didn't fail us!