Mr. Z's Reviews > The Diary of a Young Girl

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

1928892
If only every teenager would read and embrace this story, I wonder if it would change the instant-gratification, me-me-me society that has evolved over the last 50 years? Of course, this novel is a staple in any Holocaust lesson planning. In a world in which so few teenagers (or adults, for that matter) seem to stop and give thanks for what they have (instead chirping about what they want or complaining about what they don't have), Anne Frank faced the most unfair of cruelties with a certain strength and grace that crushes nearly any "problem" kids or adults face. Many Holocaust books or movies make you think, "Why?! Why did this happen?!" This story makes me think, "How? How did Anne Frank find the strength to keep her head and record her thoughts during such an unbelievably difficult time?" In a world desperate for heroes and tired (though indelibly enamored by) spoiled athletes, stories like this are once-in-a-lifetime. Hats off to Anne Frank. She had dreams of becoming famous and, although it was for reasons she never would have imagined, at least that part of her dream became true. I appreciate how this story makes my students of all learning levels and backgrounds rethink what they thought they knew about sacrifices and challenges, and even gets some students thinking about how they can use their lives to make a positive difference for others.
70 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Young Girl.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Wayne Totally agree with you.
I wonder how many teachers approach this book.
I have met so many people who have been turned off a writer because they had to study the book in school.
Often 'studying' a topic with an unimaginative teacher means death in a classroom setting.
Have seen so many young people on Goodreads who have found Madame Bovary and Anne Frank BORING!!!!whereas as a young person I was absolutely rivetted. But then I discovered them myself and never 'studied ' them. I think some young people might just be too immature for these books and study them at the wrong time in life.
A Holocaust travesty is John Boyne's "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas." I wrote a review of it on the book's site. Many teachers and librarians there questioning its worth.
Regards and thanks for a good review.
wayne,Sydney, Australia.

message 3: by Flyingsheep (new)

Flyingsheep Huh. I'm a senior in high school, and I haven't been in a single class where they told us we had to (or even should) read this. I never have, though I think in lieu of your comment that I really should (and therefore will).

Brett Exactly!

Nicole Your stereotypes about "kids these days" are tired and baseless. I feel sorry for students who have to put up with your antagonistic mindset.