Shawn Spjut's Reviews > Such Wicked Intent

Such Wicked Intent by Kenneth Oppel

Aug 16, 14

Read in October, 2012

Once again Oppel has managed to successfully lead me down the dark and twisted pathways of the heart and mind of the young Victor Frankenstein in such a way, that even now, twenty-four hours after reading those hateful words, "The End", I have yet to decide whether to embrace the main character in hopeful love, or toss him in an asylum for the criminally insane before it’s too late. I don't know whether to applaud his willingness to explore all the possibilities to try and save his twin, or resign myself to the fact, that regardless of how honorable Victors intentions may seem, the bottom line is, in the end, all things serve his god-like purposes.

Even if those purposes are to bring his twin back from the dead.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER4E5m...]

From start to finish, the author has enriched us with his ability to bring to fruition the life of one of literatures most classical figures in a way that we might mistakenly think that it was Oppel, and not Shelley, who was the original author and creator of Victor Frankenstein. So full and colorful are the protagonist-antagonist's narrative of himself, his comrades, and the events surrounding his baptism into arcane things better left alone, that he makes the reader forget that they are merely observers of the events, rather than its participants.

If there had been a Book Three, to "The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein" series waiting on a library shelf or Amazon Kindle reader, I'd have already gone out and bought it. But since there isn't, I'll just have to content myself with the hopes that it won't be too long until I can rejoin my newfound friends on their quest to uncover the dark and forbid magics of necromancy.

On a scale of one to five, I'm giving "Such Wicked Intent" a five; as I found it even better written than its predecessor.

Book One: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein: "This Dark Endeavor"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such Wicked Intent.