Isamlq's Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Oct 17, 12

Read from October 16 to 17, 2012

A Sweet story.
Of Sad kids, (one sadder than the other.)
They Grow on each other.
And they know what they lack.
Except it’s what the other lacks that the other one loves..
But I’m torn over them seeing the same things in a different way…
Because they see themselves and each other slightly differently too.

While it took me forever to get through P and E, said fact is not because of the book. If anything the bits I managed to sneak over the course of three days have kept my head from exploding simply because it is a sweet story; true, even if moments got sad then sadder still.

So, this is a sweet sad story of a girl who doesn’t have enough and a boy gliding just under the radar. At first glance they’ve so little in common, but then you see that thread that links them is of both not seeing things for what they’ really are. Now, consider that it's set in '86. This is basically immaterial, save those moments of bonding over music and superheroes, their story could have been set in any other time with its focus on two kids who grow on each other then become so much more for each other. So, I enjoyed:

Her sarcasm and over all meanness because it’s so obviously a defense
Even his being clueless because sometimes there are things that just go unsaid. But most of all that slow development between the two:

How there’s initial judgment coupled with an inexplicable fascination on both their parts. Then stilted conversation that grows more natural over time. And then the first time they hold hands how they’re both giddy/terrified. Like doing that one thing has opened so many other possibilities. Then progression from that because nothing’s over in a blink and they’re always asking OK? because they’re not sure about where things stand but are getting there.

3.25/5
Thank you Net Galley!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.