Tiffany's Reviews > God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut

Oct 14, 08

bookshelves: recommendedby-a, 1001-books
Read in October, 2008

*sigh* Vonnegut and I were just not made for each other. I mean, his books are tolerable, but I don't love them. I wouldn't even choose to pick one up if it weren't for friends saying "Oh my God, you have to read this. It's one of my favorite books" or feeling obligated to try to see what everyone else loves about him.

So, once again, this book was tolerable. I didn't hate it, and it kept me entertained, but I also didn't love it. It's strange, though: I didn't consider myself enjoying the book, and yet I often couldn't put it down/wanted to pick it back up. I have to say, though, that the last 50-ish pages got really good. I don't know why. But I did love the ending/resolution.

Passages that I liked:
"When he [Eliot Rosewater] reached Noah Rosewater Memorial High School, which was closed tight for the summer, he paused before the flagpole, indulged himself in shallow melancholy. He was taken by the sounds of the hollow iron pole's being tapped and caressed despondently by the hardware on the empty halyard.
"He wanted to comment on the sounds, to have someone else listen to them, too. But there was nobody around but a dog that had been following him, so he spoke to the dog. 'That's such an American sound, you know? School out and the flag down? Such a sad American sound. You should hear it sometime when the sun's gone down, and a light evening wind comes up, and it's suppertime all around the world.'" (242-243)
**************
"'Well--' and Trout rubbed his hands, watched the rubbing, 'what you [Eliot Rosewater] did in Rosewater County [running the Rosewater Foundation, helping anyone in need, especially the undesirables] was far from insane. It was quite possibly the most important social experiment of our time, for it dealt on a very small scale with a problem whose queasy horrors will eventually be made world-wide by the sophistication of machines. The problem is this: How to love people who have no use?'" (264)
**************
"'...uselessness will kill strong and weak souls alike, and kill every time.'" (265)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.

10/02/2008 page 35
12.73% "So far ... not enjoying"
10/05/2008 page 127
46.18% "So far ... eh. It's readable, but I'm not getting sucked in."
show 1 hidden update…