Scarlett Sims's Reviews > The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code

The Violinist's Thumb by Sam Kean

Oct 15, 12

bookshelves: history, leisure, non-fic, science
Read in October, 2012

I'm a big fan of pop-science books, and the cover design on this was so beautiful I was immediately attracted to it. I haven't read The Disappearing Spoon (by the same author), but I am certainly tempted to now as I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It consists of basic information about DNA and genetics, as told through examples of real people. My favorite thing about this author is his incredibly casual, conversational writing style. He uses the phrases "crotchal region" and "if you're into the whole brevity thing." This book entertains as well as enlightens. There are quite a few notes recommending further reading as well as a good bibliography. The information is general enough that you don't need any scientific background to understand it, yet the stories are interesting enough to enjoy even if you have studied molecular biology before. If you like general audience science books, grab this one right away!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Violinist's Thumb.