Sarah's Reviews > The Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

Jan 19, 09

bookshelves: 2009, newberymedal
Read in January, 2009

How I missed reading this book before, I will never know. So many historical fiction books have been written about this time period but I loved this one. There are so many facets of colony life brought into this novel. Why are more teachers not using this in the classroom? Some of my favorite parts came in just describing what life was like for Kit in America. The drudgery of preparing food, cleaning, growing food, and the never-ending cycle of work. Makes me very thankful to live in a world of microwaves and processed foods.

I was a little disappointed in the end. Things seemed to wrap up a little too neatly and quickly. Then again, that's not the first time I've said that about a book. It's hard to condense life to 250 pages or so.

The adventurous and bold girl character also reminded me of The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. Sounds like a good pairing of books to recommend. And I'm definitely going to recommend this book to some fans of the Dear America series.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

01/18/2009 page 58