Sue's Reviews > The Panther

The Panther by Nelson DeMille

Oct 22, 12

Read from October 15 to 22, 2012

I have to say up front I wouldn't recommend this book to people who hadn't read the predecessors-you just won't get enough out of it.

Second, I do agree with people who point out that there is a lot of stuff going on inside John Corey's head, and not a lot of action for a good portion of the book. But, as I think about it, DeMille didn't have a lot of options. The situation in Yemen is so completely and totally screwed up I don't know that I would have understood or appreciated a lot of the nuance without John's snarky running commentary. So, while 75% of the book is not terribly action-oriented, what it provides make the rest of the book very, very good.

I thought that perhaps the Panther was not a truly worthy adversary--more of a guy who got really lucky one time--but he represents something that needs illumination. While he is no Lion (the best bad guy ever!) the Panther is actually a little more frightening because his blundering posturing and idiocy are a little too real. I think he is representative of the guys we really are facing in this region right now. . . and that is terrifying.

Sad Kate didn't have a bigger role, but circumstances prevented it. LOVED seeing Paul Brenner again. This was a good thriller, and DeMille is a terrific author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Panther.