Suzanne's Reviews > The Help

F_50x66
Jan 18, 09

Recommended for: everyone!
Read in January, 2009

This first novel by Kathryn Stockett is amazing. This is one of those few books that grabbed my emotions and interest so deeply that I could not stop thinking about the book when I would set it down to attend to other activities (like eating, sleeping & working!). I was engrossed and couldn't wait to read more, while at the same time savoring every chapter as the story developed.

Stockett makes the characters come to life with her scene and character descriptions; writing in the 'voices' of black maids and nannies in Jackson, MS in the early 1960s when and where the Civil Rights movement was getting dangerously heated. Her other lead narrator, Skeeter Phelan, is a young white woman of privilege who portrays the unintended ignorance of many white people - especially in the South in those times. As Skeeter becomes more aware of the blatant racism, bigotry and hatred exhibited by people she considered life-long friends, her eyes are slowly opened to the humanity of others.

This book is now on my list of all-time favorites and I recommend everyone read it for a deeper, personalized understanding of just how far the country has come since the Civil Rights Law was passed, as well as to enjoy a truly well-written novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David R Hello,
I'm a senior in an AP english class and need to write an essay arguing for or against, any book written in the last 5 years,to be considered a classic. I chose this book, and was wondering if you could give me some insight on why/ why not you would consider this book a classic. If you choose to respond, which I would really appreciate, please leave your full name so I could possibly cite you in my paper. :)

David Rubenstein

message 2: by Christy (new)

Christy do you have this in ebook form?