Jennifer's Reviews > Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Jan 18, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2006, charlaine-harris, vampires, sexy, paranormal, paranormal_mystery, paranormal_romance
Read in March, 2006 , read count: 1

The first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series.

I confess - I picked this up at the bookstore for a few reasons:
1. The cover was sparkly and I liked the art.
2. Vampires! Having spent a huge chunk of my youth hoping the vampires in Anne Rice's novels would knock on my window late at night (shut-up, like you didn't???) I have been looking for the next Brad Pitt with fangs. (shut-up, like you aren't???)

And yeah. That was all it took. Sparkles and vampires - SOLD.

I opened up the book and kinda regreted it and thought - Well that's what you get! The main character is called (WHAT???) Sookie Stackhouse? And she is blond and a bar waitress and likes to flaunt her tight clothes and tans out in her lawn in a bikini. Hu.

But I never almost never stop reading a book once I start so I bravely forged ahead. And suddenly I stopped laughing and the pages started turning and I found myself thinking about the book when I wasn't reading it and wondering how fast I could get the next book....

So glad that there were sparkles on the cover of this book. So very very glad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.

02/10/2016 marked as: read

Tammy I like this sparkly cover too. (I couldn't bring myself to buy the new cover with the HBO True Blood cover art.)

Have you read the whole series?

Jennifer Yup! I thought the first two were the weakest of the bunch honestly. I am always excited when the new one comes out! :D

ZaBeth  Marsh I actually stopped reading the first one. Waited a year and a half and then picked it back up and read it again... and then read the rest of series like I was a man in the desert who just found water. Can't wait for the next book. I love the cover art too.

Jennifer I am going to have to look and see when the next one is coming out. It's been too long since I have had a Sookie fix. ;)

Bealina if you like the vampire chronicles would you like this series as much

Jennifer Do you mean the Anne Rice Books? I loved the Interview with a Vampire books and I loved these.

Bealina thanks i wasnt sure if should start the series or not

Jennifer You should! ;)

Brigette Hey I am brigette, I have read all the books of the series and you going to love it , amazing book!!!!!!

message 10: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie I won't be reading this book - nothing against the book/series; just not my sort of reading - but your review is great!! I've also picked up and started reading books based just on the cover. Naturally the cover isn't as important as the story, but a nice cover definitely adds to the enjoyment of the book. =)

Jennifer Isn't it funny?!? I think most of us know we cannot judge a book by it's cover - but man they sure know how to stop us in our tracks and get us to take a look! Except for this whole trend of putting feet on a book cover. What is UP with THAT?!?!

message 12: by R.varas (new) - added it

R.varas I thought I was the only nut that always wanted Anne Rice vampires to come for me lol. I started the Sookie books very late.. I got the first one ( yep, the sparkly one) and I didn't put it down till the end. Went back to the book store and got all the rest of them. Now I can't wait for the next one.

ZaBeth  Marsh My husband has read any of the Sookie books, but every time I bring one home, he oohs & ahs over the covers. He loves the artwork. I love the stories.

Jennifer R.varas wrote: "I thought I was the only nut that always wanted Anne Rice vampires to come for me lol. I started the Sookie books very late.. I got the first one ( yep, the sparkly one) and I didn't put it down ti..." Nope! I am that kind of nut too! ;) I really like the sparkle covers. I was a little sad when I saw the covers with the True Blood Cast. Where is the glitter?!?!?

Jennifer ZaBeth wrote: "My husband has read any of the Sookie books, but every time I bring one home, he oohs & ahs over the covers. He loves the artwork. I love the stories."

So it's enjoyment for the whole family!

ZaBeth  Marsh Oops, I meant my husband "hasn't read", but still he really enjoys the covers!

Azb7145 I read the series over several months, and I grew to dislike Sookie more with every book. I mean what kind of woman puts up with an abusive and controlling boyfriend like Eric Northman. She has even said that she considers herself lucky to have someone like him interested in her. How pathetic.

message 18: by Zoë (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoë Haha great review, I lost it at the Anne Rice bit. :D

message 19: by Cody (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cody I recently started reading the series, i first discovered them because of the series on hbo based on the books. But because i watched the series first i keep readong the character dialogue in the actors and actresses voices

message 20: by Cody (new) - rated it 4 stars