All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Damnation Affair

The Damnation Affair by Lilith Saintcrow

Jun 05, 13

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, earc
Read in December, 2012

I started THE DAMNATION AFFAIR expecting a novella set in the series of Bannon & Clare (based on Goodreads’s characterization of this book as Bannon & Clare #1.5). What I found was a full length novel which, though nominally sharing the same universe as Bannon & Clare, had its own style and mythology entirely. Across the sea from everything familiar, THE DAMNATION AFFAIR is an enticing new take on the wild and dangerous West.

Perhaps due to this change of expectation, THE DAMNATION AFFAIR started a little slow for me. The first chapter paints Catherine as a prissy, delicate product of her upbringing, but she is quickly proven to be a plucky and kind beneath her stiff manners. It stretches the imagination a bit to have Catherine react so far outside the social norms around her, but I liked her too much to care.

The unfolding tension between Jack’s past, Catherine’s missing brother, and the dangerous events in Damnation were well paced alongside the unfolding mythology of charters and mancy and undead. This gritty Steampunk Western swept me away down the dusty streets and dangerous alleyways of Damnation, and culminated in a happily-ever-after I never saw coming. Now I’m not sure which side of the Atlantic I hope the next Bannon & Clare book is on.

Sexual Content: References to prostitution, kissing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Damnation Affair.

06/05/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I liked this way more than the Iron Wyrm Affair. It was a fun read for me.