JennRenee's Reviews > Decked with Holly

Decked with Holly by Marni Bates

Mar 16, 13

bookshelves: challenge-2011-2012-winter-read, challenge-2012-2013-winter-read, read-2013
Read from January 03 to 29, 2013

I don't read too many holiday books, I never seem to get to them in time for the holidays. I wanted to read this book since the moment I saw it. It sounded so cute and fun and it totally was.

Holly has a semi-rough life, she lives with her grandfather and has a couple of evil cousins, she isn't miss popular, and she needs a good makeover. This Christmas, her grandfather decides for his birthday, he is taking the entire family on a cruise. Yippee, days and days of wonderful evil twin cousins on a ship. Holly isn't too excited.... before the cruise begins the trouble begins for Holly and it is only going to get worse. On board the ship she finds herself face to face with the drummer of her favorite band. She finds out, he isn't what she expected and now she is stuck with him for two weeks. The celebrity lime light isn't all what Holly expected and discovers a little romance when least expected.

Very funny, cute, and awe worthy book. The story is told form Holly and Dominic's POV and it was fun to see the love story unravel from inside both their heads. The book was very predictable, of course, and followed some cliche's, but I didn't mind in the least. The writing style was easy but so much fun, the banter was out of control and it was very easy to see the tension growing into more.

Holly was a wonderful character. She isn't the prettiest, most fashionable, or miss popular, but she is oh so lovable. She is witty, spunky, determined, and so much more. I absolutely adored her. Dominic was fun too. He lands himself in trouble so easily and it is just so funny. He can't seem to do things the way he plans them or sees them in his head. He isn't the typical rock star, he is sweet, and down to earth, just a little dim witted at times.

The love story was so much fun because it wasn't love at first sight. It was a "Do I really have to be around you" type relationship at the beginning and then it grew. It still grew in a very short amount of time but oh so much fun to watch evolve.

I really enjoyed the book. It was fun from page fun, I laughed and I awed throughout the entire book. I think it's definitely worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decked with Holly.