Maggie Stiefvater's Reviews > Year of Wonders

Year of Wonders by Geraldine  Brooks

Jan 18, 09

bookshelves: adult, recommended

I picked up YEAR OF WONDERS off my shelf after a stint of disappointing fiction. I have to admit that I was dubious that a book about the plague would satisfy my desire for a satisfying read -- but I'm revoltingly pleased to say I was wrong.

Yes, this is a book about the plague -- namely, a 17th century village that becomes infected with plague and chooses to cut themselves off from the rest of the world rather than spread the disease -- but it's not gruesome or desperately sad. The purposeful, earnest voice of Anna Frith, a maid to the rector and his delicate wife Elinor, leads us through a year full of death, madness, and loss, navigating the tragedies until we discover how the season could've also been called the Year of Wonders.

What do I love about this book? I love that Geraldine Brooks plays with language and gives lovely wordplay that delights the writer in me, and I love that she is unerring and subtle in her deft characterization.

Because of the subject matter, this wasn't an easy book to read, but it wasn't unpleasant either. I could imagine myself reading it again and it's earned a place on my keeper shelf. Highly recommended.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year of Wonders.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Nothing wrong with stews!

Good review - thanks for posting it. I'll add it to my TB list - hopefully this won't break the bookcase!

Liz

Maggie Stiefvater Thanks! If it makes you feel any better, it's a pretty short book . . . unlikely to be the straw to break the camel's back of your bookcare. ;) I read it in two days.

message 3: by Kaye (new) - added it

Kaye I like the word hearty. And believe me, you have no idea what words remind me of food.