Jack's Reviews > The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1

The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

Jan 18, 09

Read in December, 2006

Many thanks to Morgan and my dad for this. These Absolute editions are expensive, oversized hardcover monsters. Honestly, they can be really pointless ways to charge more money for the same product (see: Absolute Watchmen). But the Sandman books shouldn't be read in any other format. The oversized pages allow the intricacies of the art to share equal space with the excellent writing. Also notable to this edition is that the earlier stories have been re-colored, greatly improving the experience. I did a side-by-side comparison of the spash page where Dream is surrounded by the hordes of hell in the previous graphic novel printing vs the Absolute edition. In the original, all of the creatures are colored in a shade of bland pink. In the Absolute edition, the colors abound even as the line details pop out larger and sharper. I will tell you definitively: it is worth the money for the superior reading experience.

Also included are some great notes by the creators on character development. It's amazing to look back on the geneis of what would become such an institution in such a short time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1.