Donna's Reviews > Morocco

Morocco by Louise Lang

Jan 18, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, travel, morocco, read-in-scotland
Read in August, 2008 , read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morocco.

GoldenjoyBazyll I went to Morocco last year in March and I adored it! The BIG highlight was camping in the Sahara... camel trekking (read my story about the adventure- you will have yourself a laugh at my expense ;)...4 wheeling on the dunes... visiting in tents with nomade families.... playing hand drums... mendhi.... Turkish baths.... I loved it all. Especially the pickled lemons, mint tea and tagine cooking!

Donna GoldenjoyBazyll wrote: "I went to Morocco last year in March and I adored it! The BIG highlight was camping in the Sahara... camel trekking (read my story about the adventure- you will have yourself a laugh at my expense..."

I love Morocco too! I live in the Spanish autonomous city of Melilla on the coast of Morocco, so I sample the culture of Morocco on a daily basis. I've not really had time off from work yet to go exploring much past Nador yet, but I'm planning to visit Fez in March and head to Marrakesh during Easter break! Can't wait!

GoldenjoyBazyll Donna wrote: "GoldenjoyBazyll wrote: "I went to Morocco last year in March and I adored it! The BIG highlight was camping in the Sahara... camel trekking (read my story about the adventure- you will have yourse..."

OMG... you will love FEZ!!!! The shopping is the best there of any place I went. I loved the beautiful little alley ways and you cannot go there without visiting the old tannery. Prepare yourself for the worst smell you will ever experience but it is pretty interesting.

Marrakesh is nice as well. I traveled there for a few days and really got the flavor. If you can.... there is a hot air balloon that you can take from there that travels over the Atlas Mountains... it is a truly amazing experience. Once you are done you hve breakfast at a little farm with Berber families. VERY rustic and can be daunting for those who have too many hang ups about too much cleanliness. You sit on dirt floors and eat bread that is baked in a little clay oven...mint tea.... honey/ olive oil/ etc. The interactgion with the locals is the real flavor to be had.

GoldenjoyBazyll OOOOH I forgot.... tell me about yourself.... what do you do that has you living in Spain???? I read your profile and from what I could summize.... you are a teacher of languages, no?????

As I indicated- I am a teacher however after many years working for programs in inner city neighborhoods with very challenged families I decide to make a change and take my next step.... I am the Education and Community Enrichment Director for the 4th largest children's museum in the US- Port Discovery. Check it out on the web- www.portdiscovery.org It is a pretty cool place and I am getting to reach many more families than I ever dreamed of and am allowed to be totally creative and off the wall- which suits me beautifully. It is challenging- especially in these economic times but let's face it.... where else can I bring alpaccas into a working library in the states and do story times! ;) Just laugh (although- I am serious!)