Boof's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Jan 26, 09

bookshelves: thrillers-mystery-crime, my-most-amazing-books, read-in-2009, scandanavia
Recommended for: Anyone who likes a whodunnit
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

I loved this book and suffered a few very late nights as a consequence.

The book centres around a journalist called Blomkvist who has just been sentenced to 3 months in prison for a libelous article in his magasine Millenium against a business big-shot. After his sentencing and deciding to have a break from the magasine, he is approached by Henrick Vanger, another business man now in his 80's with his own empire dating back generations. He hires Blomkvist to research his family to find out what happened to his 16 year old neice, Harriet, who disappeared without trace in 1966. Vanger has never got over her disappearance and he wants closure, but as Blomkvist gets to work sniffing around the various members of the Vanger family it is clear that he is not welcome.

Blomkvists unlikely partner is a strange young girl, Lisbeth Salander, who is a genious computer hacker and helps him in the investigation.

Although I will admit that it took me a good 50 pages to get into the book, once I had passed that I found myself unable to put it down. I would definitely recommend this book and I will be buying the other 2 in the series.
23 likes · Likeflag

01/20/2009 page 115
01/21/2009 page 136
25.52% 1 comment
show 9 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kirsty (new) - added it

Kirsty I'd be interested to know what you think of this - I've picked it up in Waterstones a couple of times, but have always found something else I wanted more. If you like it I may actually buy it next time!

Boof Yep, will let you know Kirsty. It took a good 50 pages for me to get into but it's picking up now. Will keep you posted.

message 3: by Grace (last edited Jun 28, 2009 11:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Grace Tjan It's been a while since I read a mystery and I will pick it up next time I'm at the bookstore. Hopefully it will be a good breather book between Middlemarch and The Mill on the Floss !

Libbeth Thanks for mentioning that it took you 50 pages to get into it. I was thinking of abandoning it but will press on for a little longer.

Sasha Thanks for the review, Boof. I am finding the book difficult to get into and some reassurance from someone whose opinion I value has inspired me to plod on.

Boof Keep going, Sasha! It does pay off to stick with it (I felt the same at first). Hope you enjoy :o)