Jen's Reviews > The Lost Girl

The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

Oct 14, 2012

bookshelves: high-school, relationships, romance, science-fiction, ya
Read in October, 2012

Amarra is an echo, a clone of someone, created to fill in in case something should happen to the girl she is cloned after. Designed as a replacement, Amarra lives her life learning about the girl she is supposed to be, until one day, she has to actually become her.

It's a fascinating idea, and seeing Amarra trying to actually become this girl who she's been studying her whole life was heartbreaking. While I enjoyed the story overall, there were a couple of ideas that I had a hard time with. One was the idea that people could actually think that a clone could somehow act as a vessel through which a deceased person could then occupy. I had a hard time understanding how a mother could try to believe this, even in the face of overwhelming grief at losing a child. Another is the idea that these "echoes" don't have souls, that they are somehow mindless drones. So event though I struggled getting past these ideas, I suspended my disbelief and still really enjoyed the story. I loved Amarra as a character and all the comparisons to Frankenstein throughout.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Girl.