Jenny Bannock's Reviews > Codex

Codex by Lev Grossman

Aug 09, 2007

it was ok
Read in April, 2007

Here's the thing. I loved the story and the way it unfolded--at a leisurely pace, with moments of inspiration and excitement. The problem, however, is that the last couple of chapters build build build and FIZZLE. There were at least half a dozen scenarios that I could think of for the ending as I was reading up to it, and instead what I got was this uninspired, pat ending with loose ends left everywhere. I don't need everything to be resolved by the end, but really. The author couldn't have at least given us another chapter? Was there a deadline or a word limit or something? The whole thing left me cold and reminded me of how I feel when I read Michael Chrichton's books. Meaty and interesting plot & content (even if it feels a LITTLE like it's cashing in on the DaVinci Code trend), highly unsatisfying ending. My rec: read this book until about 20 pages from the end, then stop. Whatever you imagine as the ending will likely be way cooler than what the author wrote.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Codex.

04/17/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jyv (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jyv I couldn't agree more. I found it an interesting story until that point and the ending was utterly pathetic. A HUGE disappointment.

Susanna I wish I had taken your advice.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree with you. The last few chapters turned it from a weird book with tons of potential for greatness into the only book I ever hated.

Emily Van Coolput My thought exactly… tbh it left me wondering if it wasn't just the first part of a series, but apparently not.

message 5: by Co (new) - rated it 3 stars

Co Completely agree. Ending was pretty much a shrug.

message 6: by Sidney (new)

Sidney The plot made a lot of promises it couldn't keep. The computer game felt tacked on. I kept thinking there would be some great tie-in of the game to the plot but it never came.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Hodges I just finished Codex, and although I understand where you all are coming from in regards to the ending - I was surprised at how satisfying the ending was to me. I'm okay with an ending that feels melancholy but hopeful & really doesn't seem like an ending at all...I have never read an author that is able to describe depression as well as he does - it's brilliant. And I think the injection of realism into fantasy is refreshing. I can feel his good intentions of trying to create something that will inspire or teach or be great without him having to spell everything out for me and more importantly, I feel connected and understood when I finish his books - so that may explain the satisfaction. I look forward to the next Lev Grossman novel - I think the best is yet to come.