Ann's Reviews > Lies at the Altar: The Truth About Great Marriages

Lies at the Altar by Robin L. Smith

Jan 17, 09

Read in January, 2009

I guess I should have known this from the title, but this book was extremely negative--certainly more focused on the lies that afflict relationships than on the potentially great marriages built on Truth.

Interestingly enough, she said almost nothing that I disagree with, but I found the whole thing depressing. She told story after story of mistakes her clients have made in their marriages and the misery that resulted. She never talked about ways to make a great marriage and her focus seemed to finally be that if we're unhappy in marriages, divorce is probably the answer, and if we're not married yet, it's probably too risky to go there. She never came right out and said it, but that's the feeling you got from the book.

In addition, this audiobook was read by the author. Almost never a good thing. Apparently, Dr. Smith had been told to read slowly and really enunciate. Also, if you have trouble pronouncing one of the letters of the alphabet, that might be a good reason to have a professional reader make the recording instead. There are people out there who are really good at this sort of thing. I know that's harsh, but there it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies at the Altar.