AH's Reviews > Easy

Easy by Tammara Webber

Oct 23, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, zzread-oct-2012, romance, new-adult
Read from October 14 to 15, 2012

Easy by Tammara Webber is not my usual kind of read. I tend to stay away from contemporary romances and chick-lit. I loved Easy even though the first chapter had a scene which threw me for a loop. I honestly thought that I would abandon the book, and I'm glad that I read on. There is an attempted rape scene which could upset sensitive readers.

Jacqueline, a first year college student must live with the aftermath of the attack. She'd like to forget about it completely, but her aggressor becomes more and more antagonist towards her. In addition, she is newly single, having broken up with her boyfriend of three years and the very reason she chose this particular college. The breakup and the attack affect her school work and she finds herself failing economics. Jacqueline is required to take on a tutor and submit an extra project in order to pass the course.

Enter Landon Maxfield, tutor. Jacqueline has a fairly busy schedule and arranges for all of her tutoring to be by email. The emails are quite friendly and entertaining. Jacqueline is a little slow to figure out who her tutor is even though he attends every economics class.

Which brings me to my favorite character in the book - Lucas. What girl wouldn't want a boy like Lucas. I know my college-aged self would love a Lucas. Lucas always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, probably due to all of his side jobs. When Jacqueline's roommate convinces her to go to self-defense training, Lucas is there. I loved how Lucas worked with Jacqueline to teach her how to protect herself.

I think this book is fairly realistic in its depiction of date rape and its aftermath. In many ways, I was disappointed with the way that Jacqueline handled her situation, even though I understood her reasoning. I did like the steps she took to learn self-defense so that she could empower herself.

I'd recommend Easy to senior high school and college aged readers. I'm looking forward to reading more books by Tammara Webber in the future.

10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Easy.

Christal Yay! Glad you liked it :)

message 2: by AH (new) - added it

AH I almost stopped reading it during that first chapter. Then I just couldn't put it down.

Christal That first chapter was rough. I was glad to see it led up to something serious and was not just used as a plot device for our heroine to overcome. I really hate when authors use that particular issue as "character growth"

message 4: by AH (new) - added it

AH Agreed. I liked how she was able to use the book as a message. We'll have to discuss it on the google doc.

Regina I wasn't sure how you would come down -- so glad you liked it! Did you see that this (and the author's other books) is up on NG?

message 6: by AH (new) - added it

AH It says only UK readers.

Regina Oh.

Sarah loved these characters ... didn't love some of the secondary crap but could for sure need a book 2;)

Greta is Erikasbuddy I've read like 10 reviews about this book and you guys finally talked me into it lolz!! So going to read it. Awesome review!!

message 10: by AH (new) - added it

AH Thanks, Greta. I hope you enjoy it.

Ronyell Awesome review AH!!! I loved this book to death too!!!

message 12: by AH (new) - added it

AH Thanks, Ronyell. Have you read Pushing the Limits yet? It's pretty good too.

Ronyell No, I haven't read Pushing the Limits yet. Is it by the same author?

message 14: by AH (new) - added it

AH Ronyell wrote: "No, I haven't read Pushing the Limits yet. Is it by the same author?"
Not the same author, but in the same genre. One of the better ones.

Ronyell AH wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "No, I haven't read Pushing the Limits yet. Is it by the same author?"
Not the same author, but in the same genre. One of the better ones."

Thanks!!! I'll add that book to my TBR list!!!