Samantha's Reviews > Swallowing Darkness

Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K. Hamilton

F 50x66
Jan 17, 09

Read in January, 2009

I read the whole book in one day. Yes, it really is that fast and engaging a read. Hamilton, despite her tendency in recent years to mask erotica under the guise of fantasy, is a hell of a writer. Even the all too common sex scenes are quite engaging.

I will say this, I think this book has fewer sex scenes than normal, and more action. The climactic scene is exciting, and satisfying, taking readers to a place where it would technically be OK to end the series.

However, as I understand it, this is certainly not the last we'll hear from Merry Gentry.

Overall: A fun romp, with some most decisive endings to certain storylines. The series itself has some weaknesses.. the characters' tendencies to talk in garbled archiac fashion, for one thing. But the flaws are easy to overlook if you've come to enjoy the series.

Does not work as a stand alone novel. You really must have read the rest of the series to enjoy this book.

As an aside.. yes. the title is every bit as euphemistic as it sounds. And yeah, that's rather lame. Oh well.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swallowing Darkness.