Becca's Reviews > Villette

Villette by Charlotte Brontë

F 50x66
Jan 17, 09

Read in December, 2008

I picked this up at the Shakespeare and Co. bookstore while I was in Paris for several reasons. I wanted to buy something at the store because it's totally awesome (google it), I am a huge huge fan of Charlotte Bronte, and this book is based off her own experience in Belgium, another place I visited in Europe.

I don't care what other people have said about this book but I absolutely without a doubt loved it. I already love and cherish Charlotte Bronte's writing but this took it a notch higher. But it's not an easy read. It really helps to understand what Charlotte had just gone through as she started writing and finished writing this book. She was 1 of 6 kids in her family. Two of her oldest sisters died when she was young. Soon after she started writing this book Charlotte's other 3 siblings died, in the span of 6 months. That included her famous writer sisters Emily and Anne.

These tragedies stripped away all pretentious formalities that I think Charlotte was accustomed to, formalities that we as a society are accustomed to. She wrote a book based around a book that most people have a hard time writing about, Loneliness, but Charlotte was qualified to write about. She came from a big family and by the time she was in her 30's she and her father where the only ones left. Charlotte eloquently penned an emotion that can be difficult to read, understand, and live through.

In that respect I think she's a master, and I love her.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Villette.