Manny's Reviews > Analogue Men

Analogue Men by Damon Knight

Jan 17, 09

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in January, 1972

I discovered this rather good SF novel when I was about 13. Damon Knight imagines a world where a new technique allows people to be outfitted, at an early age, with a mental implant which makes it impossible for them to commit antisocial acts. The implanting rapidly becomes mandatory, and society divides into several groups, differentiated by the details of the programming in their implant.

The hero comes from the largest group, whose purpose in life is to perform low-status work in exchange for money which they spend at the church-like Store. Over the high wall, there is a parallel society of reckless high-rollers, who earn much more but have to dispose of all their income before it reaches its spend-by date a week later. But society is really controlled by the shadowy confederation of people who have natural resistance to the mind-control therapy, and can do what they want.

Would you believe it: the first time I read Knight's book, I had no idea it might be satire. They should introduce some form of color-coding.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Analogue Men.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So the book is about Wall Street?

Manny Donald wrote: "I have never read Damon Knight but I know he was Gene Wolfe's primary mentor and supporter in the early years of his career and I've always revered him for that. He was married to the fine writer, ..."

Hey, I didn't know any of that! Thanks. IMHO, Analog Men is his best novel... some of the short stories are good too. Appreciate the positive comments about my facial hair :)