Ferdy's Reviews > Bound

Oct 14, 2012

it was ok
Read from October 14 to 15, 2012

Spoilers

Mo is still torn between her human world and the magical world she was thrown into. What ever will she do o_O??

-The plot was somewhat predictable and repetitive - Mo spent most of the book moaning about her mob uncle using her for crimes and whatnot, whinging about her dad, complaining about her magical responsibilities whilst simultaneously whining about Luc and Colin.
Her separate issues with the mafia and the magical world were a little too ridiculous and over the top — the mafia and magic angle didn't really fit well together in the story.

-I hated Luc and Mo's relationship, they were awful. Here's why:
1. Luc used to date Mo's dead best friend, Verity, they were actually meant to get married. Mo is just second best.
2. Mo being with Luc was huge a betrayal to Verity, she knew how much Verity loved Luc but she didn't respect Verity enough to not date him.
3. If Verity hadn't died, Luc would never have even been interested in Mo.
4. The only reason Luc wanted Mo was because Mo happened to inherit Verity's destiny. He didn't choose Mo, if someone else had gotten Verity's powers he would have been all over them.
5. Luc set her up to die in the previous book and Mo just forgets about him almost killing her.
6. Luc kept choosing his magical duties over Mo.
7. I wasn't convinced of Luc's love for Mo at all — he just wanted her because they were 'bound' together.

I was disappointed that Luc's relationship with Verity and Niobe wasn't really cleared up. Did Luc love Verity? How serious was he about her? Did he only date Verity because it was destined or were his feelings genuine? Did he used to have a thing for Niobe?
In the previous books Mo wondered a little bit about Luc's past with Verity and Niobe yet she doesn't really ask Luc about any of it. It was really annoying - Why bring it up, if we're not going to get any bloody insight??

-Colin was such a hypocrite. His double standards pissed me off — it was ok for him to keep secrets, it was ok for him to risk his life to protect Mo and it was ok for him to lie. But when he found out Mo made a deal with her uncle in order to protect him he got all pissy about it and dumped her. His inability to understand what Mo did, really didn't fit in with the patient, understanding guy that had previously been portrayed. Colin and Mo's relationship was only destroyed just so she could get with Luc.

-Constance was far too idiotic to be a remotely realistic character. She hated Mo and blamed Mo for her sister's death, even though it wasn't Mo's fault. Ridiculously, Constance sides with the bad guys that actually killed her sister. Why would she blame Mo for Verity dying instead of blaming the bad guys who actually killed her? Constance wasn't dumb, so it made no sense for her to be so stupid about her sister's murder. Constance was too contrived to be anything but a rubbish character.

-I lost all my respect for Mo when she turned down the opportunity to go to NYU, even though it's what she wanted for years. Naturally she has a new dream which just so happens to revolve around her boyfriend, Luc. She decides to attend uni where he lives and she also decides to stay a part of the magical world that she's hated for the last two and half books. Mo in the latter half of the book suddenly embraces all things magical — there's nothing apart from her growing closeness with Luc that warrants her change in attitude.
Does Luc make any compromises or changes for Mo? No, he ends up getting everything he wanted - Mo, his magic, his fate, his place in the magical council with Mo obediently at his side. Whilst Mo gives up everything..ugh.

I enjoyed the first two books but I wasn't impressed with this one at all. I hated that Mo spent the whole book whining and acting like a desperate dog-like girlfriend by changing all her plans to suit her boyfriend..ugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound.

10/14/2012
7.0% ""Because you're a bitch"

Dear Lordy, the girl hating's already begun."
10/14/2012
10.0% ""He’d never hurt me"

WHAT?! Has the dumb bitch forgotten that he almost killed her in the last book."
10/14/2012
10.0% ""She was pretty much my only real friend"

Heaven forbid a heroine who has more than one friend who's a girl!!"
10/14/2012
17.0% "“I’m not having sex with you.”

Would a guy really say no to having sex with the girl they love?
No they wouldn't. But in YA land they do because the heroine can't have sex with anyone but the manslut hero even if their in a loving relationship with someone else. What a load of bullshit."
10/14/2012
40.0% ""You’re a moron if you pass up your dream school because of a guy."

I'm 100% certain that the heroine, Mo, will end up ignoring her friend's advice.

I suppose the author think its romantic for the heroine to toss away all her dreams for twu wuv...ugh."
10/14/2012
40.0% ""You’re a moron if you pass up your dream school because of a guy."

I suppose the author thinks its romantic for the heroine to toss away all her dreams for twu wuv...ugh." 10 comments
12/31/2016 marked as: read

Misaki Takahashi Wooeee dang it I shouldn't have dumped my books in the trash like that. Grabs them out so glad you told me she ends up with Luc. I don't care what Luc does he is like a living flame. Which is his element and when Mo and Luc make out there is just so much passion and love in between. When she kisses Colin it is just so stale and boring for me. They have no passion together which is why they fail. I'm so gleeful for this spoiler I wasn't about to finish this if she ended up with Colin gawed no. Team Luc all the way... <3

Ferdy Misaki wrote: "Wooeee dang it I shouldn't have dumped my books in the trash like that."

Well, you'll enjoy the ending i you love Luc, those of us who hate him didn't enjoy them. I found Luc dull and insufferable and didn't see any chemistry between him and Mo - they were just another ridiculous YA romance. Anyway, hope you enjoy the rest of the series.