Liviu's Reviews > The Red Knight

The Red Knight by K.T. Davies

Oct 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012_release_read, read_2012, genre-fantasy, top_25_2012_novels
Read from October 16 to 17, 2012

This is a book that came out of nowhere - basically I got interested as it has the same title with the huge Miles Cameron debut as it was pointed to me here on Goodreads - so I checked the sample and it was compelling, so much so that I had to read the novel next.

In describing this book, I would say that the narrative pull is extremely high, the main characters impressive in so far they are larger than life heroic and competent but brought down (though of course not for long) by schemers, meddlers and authorial intent that made kings and councilors act extremely stupid, the world building mediocre - or anyway not at the A level of recent debuts like mage's blood or Blood Song - and the storyline is soap opera with knights, sorcery, treason and blood; villains are cartoonish and the storyline has all the flourishes one expects in soap opera.

This being said the power of the narrative and the compelling main characters (Alyda, Talin, Garian) carry the day and i am definitely interested in more.

As sf this would have worked much better since there one can get away with much more campiness so to speak, but high class fantasy needs high class world building and a storyline that does not depend on the stupidity of the movers and shakers to make sense, so this series is not yet there but the author's narrative power should get it to the top with time.

should have a fbc review in November most likely with more detail and some quotes for both the + and - aspects, but the " compelling soap opera with knights and sorcery' is very good shorthand description for the book

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Knight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ruby Wow, you got through this one fast! I suppose it will be worthwhile to add this to my list along with the other "Red Knight." Thanks for the review!

Liviu I was surprised how compelling the book was - I dld the sample at Smashwords and put it on my NC and then later when I started reading it, I could not stop and once I got the full book and read it, I definitely want to read more about the characters - the book has a clear soap opera flavor but it is darkish too with heartbreak, machinations and dark magic.

and of course for once the irresistible knight of the title is female and the love interest is a prince rather than the usual the other way around...