Annie's Reviews > The Language of Threads

The Language of Threads by Gail Tsukiyama

Jan 17, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, culture-race
Read in August, 2008

I liked Women of the Silk much more than The Language of Threads . Maybe it was because I missed the primary relationship and the struggle against a clearly identified power to this book which was more about Pei's struggle to gain independence in a new place while simultaneously caring for an orphan and then survive the onset of war. I was left wanting more depth in how the characters thought about the impending and then current conflict with the Japanese invaders. There was the beginning of some of that thinking with Pei's relationship with her English employer, but then it all got easy quickly and the lack of continuing confusion or conflict surprised me, especially since they were all living together.
It was good to have a next step to Pei's life, especially after the trauma that was in Women of the Silk. I missed the characters from the first book and none of these characters really grew on me in the same way. I guess it's really a lack of bonding over a struggle against a silk factory management that keeps putting the employees down that was missing for me. Oh well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Threads.