Gail's Reviews > Comfort Food

Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs

1922982
Jan 17, 09

Read in December, 2008

Comfort Food is about Augustus "Gus" Simpson a Fiftyish television cooking show queen, who is suddenly thrown into a situation where she has to fight for her job against the younger woman who will do anything to take her job. Comfort food is a fun easy read, not a complete twinkie, but not meat and potatoes either. I would categorize it as a light lunch. There is conflict and some really unfortunate things happen to the main character, but in the end everyone gets their happily ever after. Kate Jacobs first book The Friday Night Knitting Club was much better. More conflict and a bitter sweet ending. I have not yet read the sequel and I am not sure it needed one.

This book gave me a huge desire to get into the kitchen and make something fabulous. However, we were at Bear Lake in winter with just the ingredients for the planned menu and the only grocery store a very small one at the KOA. There was a fair amount of sea food mentioned in the book which reminded me of these wonderful New England Lobster Rolls we had at Epcot in October. Since is not possible to buy Lobster at the KOA in Garden City, Utah, now that we are home I may have to get some and make these as a New Years treat.

Bottom Line: Clean read (No sex, violence or foul language), Light and Enjoyable but not a classic.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort Food.