Lola Wallace's Reviews > Parting the Waters: Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement 1954-63

Parting the Waters by Taylor Branch

Jan 27, 09

bookshelves: 1960s-and-70s, americana, history, listened-to, nonfiction, to-finish
Read in January, 2009

I can't truthfully say I've "read" this, because I didn't realize exactly how abridged the audiobook was. How or why you would abridge an incredibly well-written, Pulitzer Prize-winning 1000-page book into six CDs, I don't know (especially considering a lot of the tripe that gets the ua treatment). Especially since Joe Morton and CCH Pounder do a killer job with the reading, and Taylor Branch's prose is some of the most ludic, poetic historiography ever, covering some of the most important events of the 20th century in America. I would have listened to this for many week s more, and will definitely make time to read the full text and the whole series. Because I can fill in the gaps, but I don't really want to hear "Kennedy went to Texas for a meeting. Kennedy's funeral..." and I'm pretty sure I missed out on a lot of amazing character descriptions, since the section about Vernon Johns was fabulous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parting the Waters.