Jared W's Reviews > Academ's Fury

Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher

M_50x66
Oct 15, 12

Read on October 15, 2012

A more nuanced follow up to Butcher's epic fantasy world. We continue to follow the story line of the major characters as the world continues to spiral into chaos, held together by the few people left who actually care. It emphasizes the choices of the few, as well as the price--and power--of remaining steadfast and ethical in a world of politics. What Butcher loses in his shield-and-spell fantasy, he makes up for in his complex (in a good way) presentation of good and evil. While good and evil are mutually exclusive, many times those who are evil don't see themselves as such. Butcher's best character comes from the point of view of the traitor--ironically name Fidelius--as he considers his true allegiance to country to crown and hints as the possibilities of redemption.

Other than the presentation of a few more complex characters, the book suffers from the woes of the sub-genre, primarily dimensionless characters and passe plot. However, I will continue to read because the ideological overlay is sound and there are glimpses of true greatness. Or, as I say to my friends, "When you read as fast as I do, it's good enough to read."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academ's Fury.