Marcia's Reviews > Our Only May Amelia

bookshelves: childrens-lit
Read in June, 2008

Grade Level: 4-6
Historical fiction – Finnish American
This was a wonderful story set in the wilderness of Washington State during a time when people cared for and about each other. Life was hard. This is one my favorite timeframes for historical fiction. The story teaches unity between families and the community. Many of the families were immigrants from Finland and other parts of the world. All brought many cultural traditions, customs, and ethnicity to their homes and community. The story also teaches resiliency of our pioneer settlers in an untamed American frontier. Our Only May Amelia is a 1999 Newbery Honor book. This is an authentic story based on the diary of the author’s grandaunt, Alice Amelia Holm. The Author’s Note and Resources provide background information to substantiate the accuracy of the timeframe and geographic location. The author relied heavily on oral histories and local historical societies. Photographs from historical society and private collections preface many of the chapters.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Only May Amelia.