Taryn at My Secret Romance's Reviews > The Perfect Game

The Perfect Game by J. Sterling

This review is posted at My Secret Romance

When I first heard about this book, I was all like...
Sweet heavens! Jerks are the way to my heart!

Then I started reading and I was like...

Jack Carter, you are on the top of my Jerk of My Dreams shelf, first in line and all the way to the left. You're sitting right next to Jack Howard from the Avoiding series. Trust me buddy, that's a good thing.

Seriously.
This book...
Gave me the biggest, dumbest, grin on my face the whole time
AND...
Made me want to punch my kindle at the time.

It's all about the game for Jack. The perfect pitch...just keep your eyes focused on the ball and not the stands. Nothing else matters to him...except the woman who catches his heart.

Baseball has always been everything to Jack. Sure, he loves the attention from the girls, but not even the girls can sway him. Jack's the love 'em and leave 'em kind of guy. He's got that whole cocky, (sometimes cheesy) arrogant attitude that the girls love and guys wish they were. His main focus is baseball, until he locks eyes with Cassie one night. Just about every girl falls at the feet of Jack- except Cassie. She wants nothing to do with the known player of the baseball team and University. She see's him for who he truly is- a player and a user and steers clear of him. Cassie fights her ever growing attraction to Jack with wit and attitude. But Jack is persistent, and doesn't give up until she finally agrees to one date with him.

Jack and Cassie both have deep seeded family issues though that prevents them from trusting people. It's all a game at first, but they work through the problems. Jack wants Cassie something fierce and works to prove to her how much. He shows Cassie a side of him he's never shown anyone before. Things are going seemingly well for both when Jack lands professional baseball career and Cassie gets an internship, they're unstoppable. Cassie is falling hard for Jack when he makes a terrible mistake that wrecks havoc on Cassie's heart and emotions. Now Jack must pay for his error in judgment for the rest of his life with one person who ruined the best thing he had.

I think I'm crazy...I love this theme- it's my favorite theme and J. Sterling played it perfectly in my eyes. I totally had the ansgt induced panic attacks that I crave for with this book. One minute I'm routing for infidelity and lies and whispering, "do it! do it!" and the next I'm screaming, "YOU FUCKING BITCH BASTARD! HOW DARE YOU DO THAT!"

Clearly, I need help.

This book gave me whiplash when it comes to my emotions. One minute I'm beaming and the next I feel sick. The banter between Jack and Cassie was fabulous! I loved it! I laughed and giggled and had that stupid grin on my face until things got serious, like...

And then shit REALLY gets serious...

What the hell J? Why you gotta play me like that?

What Jack did was not forgivable in my eyes. Normally, I do forgive pretty easy, but it's the events that transpired after and Jack's way of thinking that really had me wanting to give him a swift kick to his groin. I started to loathe him with every bone in my body. I felt every damn emotion that Cassie went through. Everything. The words shot right through me to the point where I wanted to cry and hug Cassie. I understand why Jack took the path that he did because of his upbringing, but damn he is one stubborn hardheaded man!

Jack paid for his actions in the worst way, I believe. It took time, but he proved to Cassie that there would never be anyone else but her. This story has two point of views and if it wasn't for that, I may have thought differently in the end. Jack loved Cassie with all his heart. He knew he screwed up but and worked it back to the way it was suppose to be.

Ok...I take it back.

I didn't think it was going to be possible since he screwed up royally...but it was! Jack TOTALLY redeemed himself! He is forgiven! Jack totally melted my heart in the end. Completely! So then I'm all like...

YEAH BABY!

This is a great story of love, loss and redemption and it just goes to show that love can conquer all. People are meant to make mistakes and that's what makes us human. Sometimes it's the mistakes lead you in the wrong direction and other times in the right. I think if you love someone deep down with all of you, you can overcome anything.

Why not that extra half star, you ask? Simply because I think Jack knew what he was doing subconsciously, maybe not, but and he wore a METS shirt in the end. No way! Obviously I'm a YANKEES fan.

Overall thoughts? I LOVED IT and I would love to see Jack's brother Dean get a story out of this.

P.S. Jenn, can we be BFF's? Because you created the hero that I LOVE to read about and you have a fabulous sense of humor!
196 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Game.

Quotes Taryn at My Secret Romance Liked

J. Sterling
“It's not that I can't live without you; it's that I don't want to. There's a difference. We all make choices in life and I choose you.

My heart belongs to you. And I'm not asking for it back, even if you won't want it anymore. I'm just asking for a chance to have your again. I promise I'll be more careful with it this time.”
J. Sterling, The Perfect Game

J. Sterling
“Letting go of someone who owns your heart is hard. Sometimes holding on to that person is even harder. I know I'm not the easiest person to love, but you are.”
J. Sterling, The Perfect Game

10/16/2012
6.0% "You need me to work some of that aggresion out of you?" Jack offered with a sexy smile.

My mouth was full, but I didn't let that stop me. "I'd rather eat dirt."

LOVE!"
27.0% "I'm in love."
32.0% "Cassie, you deserve a swift kick to the head!" 4 comments
10/17/2012
64.0% "Wow...Jack. Now it's your turn for a swift kick to the head, like seven times in a row." 3 comments
68.0% "JACK! YOU PRICK!" 2 comments
10/17/2012
100.0% "Jack totally redeemed himself!"

Ashleigh Im startin this one today sounds amazing!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Oh great! Will you keep me posted?

Ashleigh yes!!

Ashleigh i have it on my kindle so i can lend it to you after i am finished if you want just send me your email.

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla LMAO...you know what you like!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Damn straight! Once I found out about the cheating, I think I feel in love before I could even start it. Haha

Lisa A woman after my own heart!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Mia wrote: "Amen to that !!!!"

Lisa wrote: "A woman after my own heart!"

You both love heroes like this??? Can we all be BFF's?

Lisa We can do a read along and swoon over all the jerk, selfish and manipulative deeds that jack is sure do ;)

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus sounds good to me too! HAHA

Christine Loved this book!!!! Enjoy

Taryn at My Secret Romance I'm only like 8% in but I'm LOVING it!

Melissa It's very rare that I find people who like books with this type of hero and here I found 3. lol :) cheers!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Melissa wrote: "It's very rare that I find people who like books with this type of hero and here I found 3. lol :) cheers!!"

LMAO! I love this type of hero!

Melissa Taryn, I tried to add you as a friend so I can keep up with your reviews and stuff, but goodreads is having issues. Blah.. I like this type too, one of my favorites!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Ok I will try and add you! :)

Ashleigh he pissed me of sooo much!!

Melissa It worked, thanks! I'm loving it, I got to a really good part and then.....my freakin' kindle died...:(

Taryn at My Secret Romance Ashleigh wrote: "he pissed me of sooo much!!"

OMG me too!!!! I want to punch my kindle and kiss it at the same time.

Thank you!!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Melissa wrote: "It worked, thanks! I'm loving it, I got to a really good part and then.....my freakin' kindle died...:("

Yay!!! We're friends!

Hahahah that sucks big time!

Melissa LOVED it!!! Yes, I "shouted" that....

Oh loved your video clips!!!

Jennifer☠Pher☠ This one scares me.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Melissa wrote: "LOVED it!!! Yes, I "shouted" that....

Oh loved your video clips!!!"

haha Thanks! try to write a review and can't seem to form words...so pictures work better!

Jennifer☠Pher☠ I keep seeing statuses that make me shiver! Of course I will read it though :)

Ashleigh awesome review!!! loved this book

Ashleigh ★Jennifer★ aka PHER wrote: "I keep seeing statuses that make me shiver! Of course I will read it though :)"

its worth it believe me!! some shit happens but its all good in the end

Angie's Dreamy Reads Hahahaha...OMG! I love it. Can't wait for your review.

Angie's Dreamy Reads Angie wrote: "Hahahaha...OMG! I love it. Can't wait for your review."

Taryn at My Secret Romance Angie wrote: "Angie wrote: "Hahahaha...OMG! I love it. Can't wait for your review."

Taryn you are a review goddess!!!!!! I absolutely LOVE you review!!! Amazing you genius women!!!! I loved this book!!!!!"

haha I've been called many things in my life, but a review goddess is the first! hahaa THANK YOU!! Oh yeah...I totally loved this book too. :)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Angie wrote: "Hahahaha...OMG! I love it. Can't wait for your review."

Just seeing this now...sorry! Thanks for liking it then too! lol

Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~ Wow. Great review! Ok....this is now on my next to read list. I had almost written it off...but if there is redemption....

message 33: by Kristin (KC) (new)

Kristin (KC) Awesome review! Wow, I really want to read this! Thanks for the heads up about Jack being a Mets fan :/ lol

Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!* AWESOME review Taryn!!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Vikki wrote: "Wow. Great review! Ok....this is now on my next to read list. I had almost written it off...but if there is redemption...."

Thanks, Vicki! For me, he totally redeemed himself...and I hope for you he does too!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Kris wrote: "Awesome review! Wow, I really want to read this! Thanks for the heads up about Jack being a Mets fan :/ lol"

Thanks, Kris! You should read it! It was good! Just picture a Yankees shirt when you get to that part. Hahah

Taryn at My Secret Romance Alexis wrote: "AWESOME review Taryn!!!"

THANK YOU, Alexis!!! :)

Brittany Awesome Review! This just helped me decide what to start reading next!

message 39: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna LOVE this review! This has to be the next book I read. Love your reviews I'm cracking up!!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Brittany wrote: "Awesome Review! This just helped me decide what to start reading next!"

YAY! YAY! YAY! You have to keep me posted! And thanks!! :)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Anna wrote: "LOVE this review! This has to be the next book I read. Love your reviews I'm cracking up!!!"

Thank you so much, Ana! If you read it next, keep me posted! Please!

message 42: by J. (new) - added it

J. Sterling i thought we WERE bff's?!!? THIS REVIEW FREAKING RULES!!!! I LOVE IT! thank you! :)

Taryn at My Secret Romance J. wrote: "i thought we WERE bff's?!!? THIS REVIEW FREAKING RULES!!!! I LOVE IT! thank you! :)"

Sweet!!! You're welcome! Thanks for writing the book!

Georgette The "G" Loved your review!! I couldn't have said it better!! Well, besides the fact that you are a "Yankees" fan, I will forgive you for that...Mets baby and then he also wears my favorite number too!!!!! I will go see Jack any day!!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Georgette wrote: "Loved your review!! I couldn't have said it better!! Well, besides the fact that you are a "Yankees" fan, I will forgive you for that...Mets baby and then he also wears my favorite number too!!!!..."

So glad you liked it! I guess I can still be friends with you even though you're a Mets fan...yuck! lol :)

✿Alyssa✿ Fabulous review girlfriend! I'm fixing to post mine as well! :)

Taryn at My Secret Romance PLEASE TELL ME YOU LIKED IT!

✿Alyssa✿ I definitely liked it!!! ♥

Brittany ❤  [Biblio Belles] Your review cracked me up. Totally agree with all of it, lol.

message 50: by Karla (new)

Karla Looks like you hit the Jerk Jackpot Taryn!! I'm sooooo happy for you! Love the review, especially ND...love that movie! Talk about a jerk...just a different kind! LOL!

« previous 1