Carol's Reviews > Once Upon a Winter's Night

Once Upon a Winter's Night by Dennis L. McKiernan

11941592
Oct 20, 12

Read from October 13 to 17, 2012

Wow, what a lovely, fun book to read! I liken some books to sorbets served between courses of an elaborate meal, and this one falls into that category: it goes down easily, it's refreshing, and it clears your mental "palate" between deeper reads. I almost felt transported back to the Uncle Remus library on Gordon Street in Atlanta, nestled into a sling chair with the Blue Fairy book in my lap. The story is based on (and faithfully retells) the fairy tale "East of the Sun and West of the Moon". I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'll definitely read the others by this author.

(Comments when this was on my 'currently reading' shelf)
Since the only unread book in my stack is another apocalyptically-themed novel, and since I didn't want to read two back-to-back, I went searching through Mark's hoard of books and discovered this one. The author's preface hooked me; he confesses having been absorbed as a child by the Rainbow Fairy books. His hypothesis is that as those stories were handed down to us through the years, they were changed and shortened from the versions spun by the fireside by bards of the old tradition, who set out to entertain their audience for nights on end. In this book he takes one of his favorites from the Blue Fairy Book, and reimagines it as it might once have been told. I'm just a couple of chapters into it but enjoying it so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Winter's Night.