Ginger's Reviews > The Heartless Stone: A Journey Through the World of Diamonds, Deceit, and Desire

The Heartless Stone by Tom Zoellner

Feb 14, 2009

Read in February, 2009

Very fascinating and thought-provoking look at our love affair with diamonds. I promise that you will never look at a diamond in the same way again! Each chapter is centered on a different country and issue involved in the diamond trade; each chapter stands alone. The first chapter along with chapters about Japan (marketing, cultural practices of engagement, WWII), South Africa (DeBeers, Cecil Rhodes), India (polishing and setting, child labor), and Russia ("cultured" diamonds) are absolutely fascinating! Did you know there are diamonds in Arkansas? I confess that I did not read all the chapters (Canada was a bore unless you are into geology and I didn't think I could handle the gore of blood diamonds in Angola) but the beauty of the book is that you can pick and choose chapters! My book club gave it unanimous thumbs up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heartless Stone.