Ailyne's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from October 13 to 14, 2012

Update: Just saw movie trailer....i laughed out loud...and squealed. Here is the link ---> http://youtu.be/qrI8YIZsBok

HOLY. MOTHER. OF. ALL. THAT. IS. GORGEOUS.
Could any amount of my insignificant words fully encompass the greatness of this book? The answer here is no, no because the words printed on each copy of Warm Bodies are already tuned to a vast perfection greater than the sky itself. Isaac Marion..I applaud you, I give you ten million standing ovations, I declare you to be a master of words, an enchanter of souls, a rainbow at the end of a hurricane. Dear God and all the deities that exist, Mr. Marion...is such a truly, inexplicably, amazing writer.

I suppose that from my opening paragraph you all have it pretty clear that I REALLY liked this book, but not for the reasons you may think. Let me start off with a summary of the plot so I can go into more detail on why I fell in love with this book. Alright, so Warm Bodies is sort of a Romeo&Juliet meets Twilight meets a zombie apocalypse meets universal human truth and philosophy. R, a zombie introduces us to an apocalyptic world, where everything is going to shit and zombies go around eating the brains of the living. R gets the munchies one day and goes off to get some dinner with his best friend M; R ends up eating the brains of a young guy named Perry. Something crucial to the storyline is the fact that zombies need to eat people to stay alive, they also like eating the brains because they get to sort of "see" the memories of the person who's brain they are eating. Turns out Perry has a girlfriend named Julie, so when R eats Perry's brain he gets flashbacks that make him want to keep Julie safe. He takes her back to his house to protect her from the rest of the zombies and then things start getting weird, and confusing, and beautiful, and new and I wont ruin it so this is all you get (haha). I have to admit that the plot is very original. Zombies are painted in a very different light in this book, being described more as "humans with diseases" rather than a "spawn of the dead" type thing. Right from the beginning I knew I wasn't going to sleep until I finished this book. I read for 4 hours straight. I regret nothing.

"Outside our walls were hordes of men and monsters eager to steal what we had, and inside was our own mad stew, so many cultures and languages and incompatible values packed into one tiny box. Our world was too small to share peacefully; consensus never came, harmony was impossible. So we adjusted our goals."

What you have to understand here is that while I did think the plot was amazingly original it is not what drew me in and gripped my heart. What has me reeling and panting from the book high is the style, the content, the ideas that the author incorporated into this piece of literature that should be taught in schools, read by millions and shared by the world. Put the zombie-human-romance aside and you get the huge question of existence. Why are we here? Who the hell are we? What is the purpose of us getting up every damn morning if our lives are doomed to end? What does the name we are given do for our identity? If the world went to hell, would we fight to get it back or would we let it rot along with us? These answerless questions are all brought to the surface by this book. The author takes no prisoners. He makes us analyze our humanity without us even noticing. The style of writing is breath-taking. The way this author uses words to display emotion and thought and even action is something few authors can do. Its raw talent and polished training all at once.

"Underdeveloped, murky, faded to sepia like centuries-old film, scenes from my old life flicker in the void of sleep. Amorphous figures walk through melting doorways into shadowy rooms. Voices crawl through my head, deep and slurring like drunken giants. I play ambiguous sports, I watch incoherent movies, I talk and laugh with anonymous blurs."

If this book had just been about a zombie who falls in love with a girl I would have probably given it 3 stars...but this book is hardly as simple as that. Its lyrical. It flows. It describes so much in such a compact space. This book is one big metaphor that you start discovering as you read. Its the "Who are you and what made you?" question that envelops the characters. The awkward pull of feeling warmth towards something that should cause repulsion. The ying and yang of all we are, all we hope to be, and all we will ever be.

"We will cry and bleed and lust and love, and we will cure death. We will be the cure. Because we want it."

Not all of you will get as intertwined as I did with this book, but I do recommend it. You don't have to sit there and philosophically analyze it if you don't want, it is a very entertaining read regardless. The movie also comes out February 2013 so I'm looking forward to that. I loved this book, I think everyone should definitely read it. And I could write so much more but this is already a freaking novel I will just control myself and stop. For now...I'll go to bed and dream of zombies who are capable of love...and humans who are so flawed it can't help but be beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

10/13/2012
15.0% "This book is quite....lyrical...so far....interestingly lyrical." 1 comment
10/13/2012
30.0% ""Are my words ever actually audible, or do they just echo in my head while people stare at me, waiting? I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I’m drowning in ellipses."-LITERARY GOLD!!!!"
100.0% "FUCKING. BEAUTIFUL."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly If the book is half as good as your review of it, I can't miss the chance to read it. Adding it to my to-read shelf as soon as I finish with this comment. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for a book that you so obviously adored. By the little teaser paragraphs of the actual novel and original storyline, I don't doubt that I'll love it, too.

message 2: by Gabby (new) - added it

Gabby Wow!!! I don't like myself zombies' books, but because of your review, I'm giving a try! Txs, girl!

message 3: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison G. u sold me! im putting it on my list.

Krissy P (Kris) Wow, that was a great review. I really loved this book too. I am looking forward to reading the sequel. I heard the author is currently writing it. This book was so beautifully written, I was glued to the pages.

Jessica Cavin Great review. You hit the nail on the head. This book was absolutely incredible.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

After reading your review, I'd decided to read the book. Turns out, it became my favourite. thank you.