Indra's Reviews > Her Last Death: A Memoir

Her Last Death by Susanna Sonnenberg

Jan 18, 2009

Read in January, 2009

This book is beautifully written (though in the crazy-mother memoir category I prefer Jacki Lyden's "Daughter of the Queen of Sheba", perhaps only because I could relate to it on more levels than this book). Sonnenberg's mother made me furious, which, in my opinion, means the writing was great because I still cared what happened even though I wanted to scream at this woman! EVERYTHING the mother did and espoused revolved around what "men" would prefer (true to that generation in many cases, but still annoying as all get-out). The mother was extreme, inappropriate, selfish, contradictory--in short, a very interesting character, but someone that would be very difficult to live with or be related to. I really enjoyed Sonnenberg's considerable observational skills both inside and outside her inner struggles, the evolution of the relationship between she and her sister over the years, as well as her ability to show all the facets of complicated people, situations, and relationships. I did not, however, care for the ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Last Death.