Mary's Reviews > The Shack

The Shack by Wm. Paul Young

Feb 01, 14

Recommended to Mary by: it was a Christmas present
Recommended for: no one... not even my worst enemy
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

This review has been removed for personal reasons.
All of you who liked, commented, and otherwise made it clear that you "felt me" on my response to The Shack are very much appreciated.
72 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shack.

01/16/2009 page 124
49.21% "Remind me later to tell you the many reasons this was horrible."

message 1: by Wealhtheow (new)

Wealhtheow omg why are you even trying?

message 2: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary that is the world's best question. sufficeth to say that my father, the aspiring priest, gave it to me for Christmas. also, I have masochistic tendencies.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oh wow, I can't wait to hear what you think of it. It's not quite on par with Anne Lamott or Donald Miller when it comes to writing style and it misses the brilliance of Brian McLaren (cause if you're going to rattle Christians' cages, you should do it well) but still...

message 4: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary Wait, I take it you've read it, Jennifer? What did YOU think?

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I thought it was... interesting. I thought it tried too hard to be controversial for the sake of being controversial but it did cause some deeper thoughts at times.

message 6: by Wealhtheow (new)

Wealhtheow Oh Mary, your slog through this was worth it if it inspires such quality critique.

message 7: by Mary (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:26AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary Wealhtheow wrote: "Oh Mary, your slog through this was worth it if it inspires such quality critique. "

Ha ha! I was so desperate to vent the entire time I was reading this that I was actually afraid it would just explode into one enormous rant. (Which it kind of did, admittedly.) I actually marked the passages I quoted here as I read, so I would remember just what pissed me off. If the yay-sayerrs can drone on about The Shack, then so can I! :) Glad you approved.

message 8: by Mary (last edited Mar 25, 2009 02:42PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary Janet wrote: "I couldnt agree with you more. Well done."

Ha, thanks!

David A first-rate review. The one I wish I had written!

Debbie Thank you for putting my thoughts into excellent words - I only read The Shack because a co-worker loaned me the book and I had to at least try to understand why she thought it "fantastic". Ugh, it was truly cringe-worthy most of the time.. love your writing, can i be your friend?

Aleshia Robinson I'd like to introduce you to Alcatraz, a deeply troubled, teenage, tattoo artist on a spiritual quest to find God. www.lovegodandtattoos.com

Vaden Earle I love reading reviews by all sorts of people. This review is of particular interest to me. The Shack, may not be a "literary work" but it did sell over 20,000,000 copies. In my opinion, any book that sells that many copies deserves respect, if not for its content, for the fact that it has touched a nerve of society. I try to keep an open mind to all opinions and I specifically read books that do not agree with me. I am trying to keep an open mind to this review but don't you think it is a little harsh. Kinda like a midget giving basketball tips to Michael Jordan. I am an author and have had the privilege of meeting Paul Young. The man deserves credit for the enormous accomplishment of captivating so many people with his writing... like it or not.

Leila Dead on.

message 14: by Mike (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mike Your comments are sharp and insightful. This is a bad book by a first-time author. I used to work with the editor at a magazine back in the early 90s and I can simply say this book doesn't surprise me. The editor should be hung and quartered for allowing this book out to the general public with all its problems.

message 15: by Mandy (new) - rated it 1 star

Mandy Sanderson I couldn't read this book as it was so badly written. I'd describe it as a bad Mary Sue fanfic too. I'm a christian and so many of my friends said this book was wonderful that I started to wonder what was wrong with me!