Kay's Reviews > Pilgrim of the Sky

Pilgrim of the Sky by Natania Barron

Oct 15, 12

bookshelves: steampunk, science-fiction
Read from October 12 to 15, 2012

I received this book from a NetGalle request.

Maddie is trying to move on with her life after the disappearance of her fiance but just when she is ready to move on she gets sucked into his strange world. During this process she must find herself and figure out what she wants out of life.

This book was not at all what I expected but I still really enjoyed it. I would describe it as part steampunk and part scifi book. I thought the story was very interesting and unique. I have definitely never read a story like it before. There were a few parts where I became a little confused about what was going on but most of those would eventually clear up. I was left at the end with a few questions about how exactly the worlds worked and am not sure I completely understand the concept behind them. There was also a section about a third of the way into the book where it did seem to drag a little, but once Maddie started to figure things out the story flowed well until the end. I really enjoyed reading the story and trying to understand the worlds Maddie was in.

I really liked the character of Maddie. She was caring, easy to love and willing to stand up for her friends. Her relationship with Randy and Randall was interesting and another unique aspect of the book. Whie love is an important theme in the book, the relationships do not overwhelm the overall story. I thought Matilda and Alvin were also intriguing characters but wish they had been fleshed out a little more, especially Alvin.

Overall, this was a good book. I think that fans of steampunk books will like this but shouldn't expect a full steampunk experience. There have been a few urban fantasy books about the gods out recently and while I haven't read many of those I think this book would definitely appeal to readers that like those books. I would definitely check out other books by this author and would be interested to see more books in this setting.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pilgrim of the Sky.