planetkimi's Reviews > Red Earth and Pouring Rain

Red Earth and Pouring Rain by Vikram Chandra

Jan 30, 09

bookshelves: fiction, magical-realism
Read in January, 2009

Red Earth and Pouring Rain is a whirlwind of a book, and a heavy whirlwind at that. The book itself is weighty, and its contents are jammed full of an overwhelming amount of characters.

I had trouble remembering who did what, what the effect was, and how things influenced each other later. So to me, it seemed in parts like one random thing happening after another.

I really enjoyed the first third or so of the book, and then I think things all started to jumble together. I think I finally lost track of what was going on about halfway through. But I kept reading, hoping that everything would work itself out in the end. For me, it didn't.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Earth and Pouring Rain.

01/18/2009 page 30
01/19/2009 page 140
25.83% "I'm wondering who in the world all of these people are & how they're related to the main story!"
01/20/2009 page 208
38.38% "Just got through another comparatively boring bit ... this book has lots of up and downs."
01/29/2009 page 468
86.35% "Going into the home stretch now..."
show 1 hidden update…

Sudeshna I completely agree with you. I began the book thinking "wow, such a nice concept" and then slowly, it started getting too confusing. By the time i finished it, i was just relieved that it was over. Too heavy for my liking and way too-many digressions.