Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Shadow Game

Shadow Game by Christine Feehan

May 07, 12

bookshelves: alpha-hero, career-woman, scary-sexy-cool-dangerous-hero, fated-to-be-mated, favorites, hero-to-die-for, hero-in-pursuit, heroine-i-adore, hot-and-steamy-romance, less-than-perfect-hero-or-heroine, part-of-a-series, paranormal-romance, owned-copy, opposites-attract, psychic, scarred-heroine, soldier-or-military, superheroes, nerd-prof-scientist-genius-geek, favorite-or-autobuy-author, modern-virgin-heroine, brotherhood, genetically-enhanced-dna-manipulati, reread, dangerous-hero-2012-general-reading, sigh-worthy-hero, laughed-myself-silly-while-reading, bromance, 2012-sky-s-the-limit-club, yearly-reading-challenge, action-adventure-aficionados-2012-c, hero-falls-hard-for-heroine-fast, hero-black-hair-gray-eyes, hero-or-heroine-limps-disabled, all-things-spring-challenge
Recommended for: Fans of romantic suspense, psychic storyline, A/A with romance
Read from May 03 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

*****Reread May 3-7, 2012****
My Thoughts:

This series remains one of my all-time favorites. I love this concept and the characters. The suspense/action elements are easily as strong as the romance, and it satisfied my multi-faceted reading nature with both.

Ryland--

Ryland is one of those sneaky alphas who acts like a beta towards his woman. He was adorable at how in love he was with Lily. But don't be fooled. He is a lethal, fierce man. Very droolworthy. Even though I love some of the GhostWalker men more, it's a relative thing, because I realize on reread how much I love Ryland. I think for a nine (soon to be ten) book run, having only mildly disliked one hero (Mack) and loved all of the others, that's saying something.

Lily--

Lily is a multi-faceted heroine who I love and admire. She is wicked intelligent, with a highly cerebral scientific nature balanced by a fiercely loyal, caring, passionate and loving heart. I liked her in this book a lot, and it's great to see what a lynchpin she is for the GhostWalkers in the later books.

Together, their chemistry is sighworthy and hot! If you like plenty of love scenes, Feehan won't let you down.

Team One--

I adore all these guys. I love their strong bonds and their loyalty to each other. Not to mention their soldier bad*ssedness! They know how to joke around, but they also know how to take down the bad guys. It's great to see each one with their women. Going back and rereading this makes me even more excited for Sam's book. (big smile)

Final Thoughts--

I never find Christine Feehan a quick read, but I love her books all the same, particularly this GhostWalkers series. I am glad I did a reread and was able to dive deeper and appreciate things I may have missed the first time around, or just to immerse myself in this book world I love so much.
Mind Game is next and I am so looking forward to it! Glad to get GhostWalker fix. I an a stone cold addict for this series.

Check out my GhostWalkers pinboard!

Original Review

I gave this book five stars because I enjoyed it so much. I have heard that it is not the best of the series. I am happy to say that if this is not the best, then it will be a pleasure to read the rest of the books. Right from the start, I knew I would like Ryland, the hero. He came off as a principled, caring person, although with a dangerous edge (which I like in a hero). I liked his immediate attraction to Lily, and how he saw the beauty in her although she never thought she was beautiful. Lily is a good heroine with some qualities that make her stand out from other cookie-cutter heroines. I like that she has the tendency to be a nerd/brainiac type and is very cerebral. She can get sucked into her research and be cranky at times. It's refreshing to read about heroines who aren't goody-goody all the time, although they are good people all the same. It is clear that despite being a very scientific person, she also cares about people and about doing the right thing. I definitely saw the chemistry between Lily and Ryland and hoped that they would get together. I loved that they had a psychic bond that helped each other, when either was feeling pain or anguish. By the time the love scenes came, there was already a deep emotional connection that made the love scenes that much better.

I also liked the premise of the story. It's cool to read a paranormal with humans who happen to have enhanced mental powers. I loved how the Ghost Walkers could tell someone to look away and not see them, and persuade them to do things, yet they never used these powers in a cruel way. I thought the science was plausible, although clearly Feehan made an effort not to bog the reader down with it. The romance and the relationships were the strong focus, yet set in a world that is very exciting and interesting.

I also liked Ryland and Lily's relationships with the other Ghost Walker men and also with Lily's family of employees that have been with her since she was a small girl. I would say that Feehan has a skill at writing about relationships and the intricacies of those interrelations with people. She shows the turmoil that Lily had about her father and her discovering that her father did do some less than ethical experimentation on her and other young girls in his quest to develop psychic powers in human subjects. All the characters in this book were interesting, and I had quite a few good laughs as they joked with each other.

The action scenes were exciting and well-written, showing that this was another area that Feehan is good at. I love reading about tough people who can kick butt, and this book has this in spades. Also I liked seeing the Ghost Walkers and Lily use their powers when they got into fights and went on missions. It reminded me of the X-Men movies, comics, and tv show.

I can heartily say that this book was enjoyable and I am adding it to my keeper shelf. I am eager to read all the books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Game.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Liked

Christine Feehan
“He had known he wanted her, that it was for all time, but he hadn’t realized what was between them. A priceless gift, a treasure beyond his dreams. She was wrapped so tight inside of him, he knew it was more than his body and mind. More than his heart. She was entrenched in his soul. (Ryland, on Lily)”

Christine Feehan
“He was dead. He just didn't know it yet.”

Christine Feehan
“Your name is Lily Whitney. You are the woman I want at my side night and day. I want you to be the mother of my children someday. I want you for my lover. I want you for the person I turn to when the world gets to be too much.”
tags: love

Christine Feehan
“Don't worry, now that I know about your little ego problem, I'll do my best to look all gushy when you pound you chest.”

Christine Feehan
“For Lily, there was only her phantom lover, bold enough, arrogant enough, crazy enough to dare follow her here when he was in far more danger than she could ever be.”

05/04/2012 page 13
4.0% "Glad to finally be rereading this series!"
05/05/2012 page 100
28.0% "Really great sexual tension/chemistry, and I like the build on the suspense. Even after reading the whole series, I am still in love with this concept!" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana T. (new) - added it

Ana T. I really enjoyed this book too. I only read the first two in the series so maybe it's time to catch up on the other books.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Yes, I can see them becoming an addiction. I went out and bought the ones I didn't have. I'm glad Nicolas is next because I am really intrigued by him. :)

message 3: by Ana T. (new) - added it

Ana T. Looking forward to your review of his story! :-)

Sherri needs a twin I loved this book too. I also thought Gator's book was excellent!

BJ Rose I love this whole series - just finished the 7th one last month, and they're all keepers for me - for those who haven't yet read the ones about the Norton twins, have some kleenex handy!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I love the Norton twins. Ken is my favorite. Sigh!

message 7: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin dude, i dont think she's a virgin? i just past the part where she they are in the dream world where they have sex in the museum-and she isnt a virgin? at least there isnt a mention of it in that scene. is it not the same as in the real world?

message 8: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Based on this review I have added it to my 'to read' list. Sounds really good :)

message 9: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Just got it for my kobo lol :)

Brittany B. Thanks for this review and comments. I have been very curious about Feehan. I havent been able pick a series. I'm going to buy this tomorrow!

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia nice review

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited May 04, 2012 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Erin, as far as I remember, she is a virgin. I just started to reread it today, so I'll confirm this later.

Alicia and Brittany, I hope you enjoy the book.

Thanks, Cynthia *Hugs*

Vashti Great review as always Danielle,loved this book myself.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Vashti! I'll probably add some thoughts after I finish rereading it.

message 15: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Great review! Adore the series, but this first one holds a special place for me.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Keri! It was so great revisiting this first book and realizing how good a couple Lily and Ryland are. And I just love Team One!

message 17: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Thanks to you I have to read this series!

Crista Wow Danielle....outstanding review! I can not believe I am saying this, but I know nothing about this series! I've never even heard of it:( it's my lucky day because it looks like there's a ton of them and I'm visiting my Fav. Used book store today! Thank you so much for introducing me to this whole new world:)

message 19: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Crista, you have a lot of great reading ahead of you with this series...lucky!

Crista I can't wait! The only question is: What rock have I been living under;)

message 21: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Crista I think that is the same rock I have been living under. I have never heard of this series before either. I can't wait to pick them up

Lisa Kay Whoa! Lady D! Loved your reviews and your Pinterest board is fantastic! Great sysnopses on each pic is great. My library has this series on audio; I've been thinking it would be a great way to get back to it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, girls. Crista and Jen, you definitely need to read the GWs! I need more people to talk to with about the books!

Thanks, Lisa Kay. It was so fun doing their Pinboard. I will keep refining and adding to it as I do my rereads and I read Samurai Game. For some reason, I thought you had read these!

Sandy I've just finished the first book and thanks for the recommendation - I really enjoyed reading it and have just ordered Mind Game.

message 26: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess @Erin Did your qs about her being a virgin get answered? Well this is late but I recently re-read the book and she was. When they have sex outside of the dream, it’s obvious it’s her first time.

~ AprilMarie4u ~ Thanks for the review! I'm making this my next series to be read. I'm in between books & just waffling right now.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, I hope you enjoy it, NotYouToo. I freaking love this series!