Aliaa El-Nashar's Reviews > Determinant

Determinant by A.M. Hargrove

Oct 12, 12

Read on October 12, 2012

The covers for the three books in this series are absolutely stunning! I just feel so bad I hadn't had a chance to read the first two in the series, though I will work on doing that as soon as I can. But I was told this book works as a standalone book as well, so I guess that was alright - for the time being.

January has had a miserable life, wanting nothing more than her family to accept her, love her, and treat her as a daughter. But none of that happens as January is kicked out of the house on her graduation day with nowhere to go and has to learn how to make it alone at the age of 16. Now that she's 19, life hasn't been looking up either, as one of her friends had gone missing a couple years back and her school life had gone downhill. But it all changes when she catches a deadly disease and is saved from it by Rykerian, a boy so handsome she cannot fathom why he'd help her or want to be with her. Taken away, she begins to discover more about who she really is and that she isn't the freak she always thought herself, but that doesn't mean life would ease up either. There's still a disease spreading, and no one knows how it got there or whether or not it can be stopped.

This book was amazing! Though, I know this is the first time I would possibly ever say this, but the romance in the book kind of ruined it for me. Not completely, but I think it should have been less. I know it's strange, since I love romantic books, yet, in this case, a little more on this amazing Vesturion culture would have been preferred. The dealing of this epidemic that seems to have travelled almost everywhere on the planet, knowing who caused it and how to stop it. The book and the story was completely fascinating and I loved watching January grow. I enjoyed watching her interactions with her siblings, and more importantly how she adapted to what she is. Not to mention I enjoyed her interactions with Rykerian, more from his point of view actually than hers. He was completely exciting, the contradictions of his character and many aspects were so great, his was a character very well developed.

The writing was quite well done, and so were the stories mixed together. It was quick and easy, not complicated and hard to get into. I liked how the story was split into books and how each one held a different point of view. I like getting into the characters' heads, so clearly this was an entertaining read for me and I quite enjoyed it! Not to mention, the names? Rykerian? Different languages? Telepathy? This was definitely my kind of book!

Rating: 3/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Determinant.

10/12/2012