Kim Taylor's Reviews > 666 Park Avenue

F 50x66
Oct 12, 2012

liked it
Read from October 11 to 12, 2012

Gossip Girl for adults, with a splash of paranormal. I was intrigued by the (much adapted) television show, and although I'm not usually a fan of chick-lit, decided to give this book a try.

Quick synopsis: Jane Boyle is a beautiful blonde 24-year-old architect in Paris. When she meets Malcolm Doran, sparks literally fly and after a whirlwind courtship they become engaged and move to New York City to his family home, 665 Park Avenue (located between 664 and 668). Jane slowly begins to realize that all is not well in her new paradise, especially her prospective mother-in-law Lynne.

The good: author Pierce successfully marries several publishing trends. The series are bestsellers and have been adapted for TV.

The bad: the name-dropping. I don't need to know all the labels Jane wears, thank you. Jane herself is young, immature and none too bright, not to mention far too trusting. (She does finally grow some backbone.) The attraction between Jane and Malcolm is basically a series of sexual encounters (spoiler alert: this is finally explained). The pace is initially a whirlwind of activity as Jane meets and is obsessed by Malcolm, then slows to a well-shod crawl until nearly the end.

Overall, I'd give this 2.5 stars. I much prefer TV-Jane to book-Jane. Will I read the rest of the series? Maybe, but only if I can borrow them from the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 666 Park Avenue.

07/19/2016 marked as: read