Sterlingcindysu's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Oct 12, 12

Read in October, 2012

** spoiler alert ** A great debut novel. The writing is good, meaning it's vague on purpose at times as it's told by a survivor's viewpoint. Could I really trust what Grace was writing was the truth, or was it just something she was telling her attorney? But my devious mind kept thinking Grace was up to more than not remembering the truth for the 21 days on the lifeboat. Due to her not wanting to be a governess, she purposely "runs into" Henry a wealthy man whose engagement she reads in the newspaper, and a few weeks later is secretly married to him. What if she really didn't marry him, but just told people she had? Without her future mother-in-law's finances to pay for the attorney her fate would have been similiar to Mrs. Grant and Hannah, or in any case she would have been penniless. Interesting how she got her next husband as well. I suspect she and Hardie forced their way into the lifeboat on their own and there was no Henry "paying" for her seat on the boat. After all, why didn't Henry also grab a seat on that boat since there were other men there and it wasn't a matter of women and children first. I also suspect that the whining Mary Ann didn't have a natural death. But then again maybe not.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.