Kazhy (My Library in the Making)'s Reviews > Midnight City

Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell

Nov 19, 13

bookshelves: arc, netgalley, won, signed
Read from November 16 to 19, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 2

(View this second review on My Library in the Making.)

Previous Rating: 4.5/5

What's the same?
The world-building was still amazing and the characters endearing, but I appreciated those even more during my re-read. The post-apocalyptic world that the author created was very easy to picture in my head, and I can just as easily see this as a movie. Seriously. It's one adaptation that needs to happen.

What changed?
I think I ignored it the first time I read this, but part one of Midnight City just dragged. It wasn't exactly boring, but it didn't keep my eyes glued, either. But patience, grasshopper, because after two hundred pages you'll find that this book is quite the gem. Everything gets crazy on part two—the part that I read in one sitting on both my first and second reads, so it's tried and tested, really.

-------

(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)

As with alien-invasion movies, I expected Midnight City to be either of two things when I started reading it: a hit or a miss. And the beginning made me think it was the latter of the two, until it started hitting me in all the right places.

The best part about this book was the pace. I'd only planned to read a hundred more pages today, but I kept reading because I had to know what would happen next.

I also loved the group of misfits who were the main characters. Holt, a survivor, if nothing else; Mira, ever so resolute about her plan; Zoey, innocent but courageous and smart for her age; and the Max, adorable... although I believe Mira when she said that he stinks. Their group was formed out of necessity, and their hostility not just towards their pursuers but also towards each other made them very real.

The world-building was outstanding. Mitchell described everything in a way that made it easy for me to see the scenes in my mind, and also made me thankful that I do not live in his futuristic world. A world without adults might seem fun to some, but not to me, especially if aliens would take over the minds of nineteen-or-so-year-olds and kids had to mature quickly if they wanted to make the most out of their lives before the Tone gets to them. It's just awful.

The idea of the artifacts also intrigued me. I'm sure it would be cool, although dangerous, to mix and match seemingly worthless items that produced magical effects such as controlling gravity and opening any locked door.

The ending was fulfilling, but it still left many questions unanswered. What was it with Holt's and Mira's pasts and what will happen to their future? What did the Assembly do with the adults? - because I don't think they just beckoned them with the Tone and then killed them off. And just how many Assemblies are there? But I am certain of two things. First, this is one story I would not want to live in, unless I want to die of exhaustion or have running as the last thing I'll do. Second, if you want a constant surge of action, you'll want to get Midnight City.

MY FAVORITE PART was learning just how much Zoey could do, and I'm sure there'll be more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight City.

10/15/2012 page 114
10/20/2012 page 207
53.0% "So much action! <3"
11/15/2013 marked as: currently-reading
11/16/2013 page 102
26.0% "Re-reading before I start with The Severed Tower :3"
11/17/2013 page 196
51.0% "Only now remembering just how long this book is :))"
11/18/2013 marked as: read