Stefani's Reviews > Flash Point

Oct 12, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: hardcover, already-on-the-podium-bronze, swapped
Read from May 22 to 28, 2013

Short version – This book sucked. Nothing happens. Not a damn thing. Then suddenly the author seems to remember they are writing a book to interest people and something happens. Then the book is over. Save your money and buy a book where something, ANYTHING happens.

Long version – I was really looking forward to this book, it’s embarrassing just how much. I wanted to love it so much that I pre-ordered it months before it was released. Then I started seeing a lot of bad reviews and had an “uh oh, did I screw this royally?” moment. The premise interested me because it sounded a tiny bit like The Hunger Games but in a more tame fashion. Interesting, and I was willing to give it a shot despite my sudden misgivings.

I have seen people speculating that the grammar or spelling errors might be because they got an uncorrected ARC copy…it wasn’t. There were many times when I did a double take and said to my book “what the hell is that supposed to say…because it definitely doesn’t say whatever it is!”. I got annoyed that they kept calling Kaylie different names. One paragraph its Kaylie, the next paragraph (no joke, literally the next paragraph) it was Kayla. It confused the hell out of me. There were enough characters for me to keep track of, I didn’t need one with two names.

Amy was an idiot. A irredeemable idiot. First, she applies for a job without having any idea what the job is. Who does that? Idiot Amy does. Then, she signed a legally binding contract for the mystery job without even bothering to read it…or even skim it! It was at that moment that I knew Amy and I wouldn’t get along. But not only was she a complete moron, she was boring too. I sort of agreed with the emails she got later in the book that said she did nothing and was a waste of air time. She was a waste of book time too. And she treated her sister like shit, then I branded her total Grade A bitch status.

The plot was just so dull. 9 out of the 10 scenarios were laughably stupid. The book jacket says that they kept upping the ante until Amy and the others are fighting for their lives both on screen and off screen. Wait, hold on. Where is THAT book? Because it sure as shit isn’t the book I just read! The scenarios were all boring and much the same. I didn’t see any upping the ante at all. Then suddenly we get to the last scenario and they are breaking the law and trying to kill people. What the actual fuck? Boring to illegal in 2.5 pages! But by then I didn’t fall for the bullcrap because I’d seen the same tactic in the 9 other scenarios so that made it not only implausible but also predictable.

Stupidest love triangle….square….ever. So not only did the love triangle suck but they tried to make it a love square, which was weird and made even less sense than the love triangle. Naturally one of the guys was the pretty boy who everyone falls in love with. The other guy I actually liked. But only one of them ever seemed to be interested in Amy at all, but Amy was only interested in the other guy until he did something she didn’t like and then she was all over (literally) the guy who had been flirting with her from day one. Then they tried to throw in another person and it just got weird and stupid and I didn’t believe any of it at all. Amy was boring, the other girl was a manipulative bitch. What’s to like?!

And now for some notes for other authors to learn from this train wreck:

1. When you are writing a dystopian novel in which everything has changed drastically from the way we know it, explain how that happened! And exactly what happened! Just referring to everything as “pre-Collapse.” isn’t helpful. I don’t know what the fuck the Collapse was or did!? Tell me for the love of almighty Goddess! Just a few paragraphs to explain the backstory would have been sufficient, or a prologue. Anything!

2. Stop with the love triangles already. Seriously, it’s gotten old. And if you have to do it, can you at least make it interesting? A 3 girl love triangle? A 2 girls, 1 guy triangle? A 3 girl love triangle? At this point I’d take just about everything other than 2 guys head over heels in love with the most boring girl on the planet.

3. Unless your book is a comedy, if I’m laughing to the point of tears you’ve failed….badly. Take heed.

4. If you are going to give your heroine some kind of special power, at least tell me what it actually is. I read an entire book and I have not a clue about what Amy’s phantoms were or what purpose they served.

5. If you are writing in a character who is giving your heroine hints about what’s to come as a warning, please make sure those hints make sense. Maybe it’s because Amy was an idiot that she didn’t get it earlier, but I didn’t get it either. Two vague words does not a warning make. Make it clear or I really won’t give a damn.

6. Please, stop the endless lists of designer brands. At a certain point I start thinking that they are paying you for product placement. Then I start to giggle. Then when I get tired of giggling, I just skim the rest of your shitty tome.

7. If your own characters tell me how much something sucks, don’t write it. Otherwise I will sit there and nod and go “yep character A, you’re write that’s fucking stupid.”

Don’t buy this book, I beg you. If you absolutely have to read it then get it from the library or a friend who already wasted their money on it. It’s not worth it. It’s not even worth the paper it’s printed on.

Like this review and want to read others like it? Want to request that I read and review your book? Visit my blog, Stefani's World of Words

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flash Point.

05/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/22/2013 page 49
12.0% "Interesting beginning, though I don't know how you apply for a job without knowing what the job is. Or sign a contract without reading it....stupid!"
05/22/2013 page 78
19.0% "This be dumb. You want to film honest reactions to situations so you make the situations completely not plausible and then tell everyone they are being filmed. Great idea there." 1 comment
05/23/2013 page 168
42.0% "Amy is the most boring heroine ever!"
05/24/2013 page 214
53.0% "Ugh, another loooong list of fashion designers. *yawn* I don't caaaaaaare!"
05/27/2013 page 272
68.0% "I think I've decided, this book just plain sucks." 3 comments
05/28/2013 page 400
100.0% "What the hell was that! You go from lame and more lame to illegal in a handful of pages.... sorry what? This book was terrible."
05/28/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor uh that's stupid and confusing.

message 2: by Katbyrdie (new) - added it

Katbyrdie awww, really? but I want to like this!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky Oh my... Why don'tcha tell us how you really feel, Stefani? ;)

Stefani Becky wrote: "Oh my... Why don'tcha tell us how you really feel, Stefani? ;)"

Oh no! Did it seem like I held back?! Damn, I'll have to try again. ;)

message 5: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina I seriously cracked up reading this OMG it's hysterical and pretty much sums everything I feel after finishing it myself.