Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Captain Blood

Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: adventure, swashbuckling, classic, action-adventure-aficionados-2012-c, action-adventure-group-read-may-12, all-things-spring-challenge, 2012-kindle-reading-challenge, 2012-sky-s-the-limit-club, yearly-reading-challenge, pirate, antihero, admirable-hero, enslaved, caribbean-setting, nautical-fiction-or-non-fiction, irish-welsh-or-celtic-hero, 17th-century, dangerous-hero-2012-general-reading, hero-black-hair-blue-eyes, hero-i-loved, medical-profession, metafiction, miscarriage-of-justice, kindle-book
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) by: A/A group read
Recommended for: swashbuckling/pirate-themed adventure readers
Read from May 11 to 31, 2012, read count: 1

This is definitely a book to read if a reader likes pirate/swashbuckling novels. The setting, characters, scenes, and dialogue took me back to the 17th century in a time of political turmoil and wild seas and locales where the wars between countries play out in a very personal matter. And Peter Blood, the main character is one that claims your affection and doesn't let go. I sometimes find reading on the Kindle a chore, but with this story, I got so sucked in, that before I knew it, it was ending. And I had a smile on my face as I read the last sentence.

Captain Blood is not a predictable read, at least for me. I literally didn't know what was going to happen from one scene to the next. I loved reading about Peter rely on his wits and face each obstacle with courage and determination, always working towards the end goal, even when it didn't seem in sight. He is a charismatic character who kept me captivated, through his quick thinking, and his powerful manner of expressing himself. Although Captain Blood is a pirate, he is very much a man of honor, for his profession. He is, in my opinion, the preferred antihero. One who doesn't let go of his sense of honor, even if it doesn't necessarily follow the established rules. And because of that, I rooted for him.

The one part that didn't sit right with me as I read, was how a distinction was made between Peter Blood and the English captives sold into slavery and the negro slaves. As though they were too good to be slaves when the negroes weren't. I realize that it was the ideas of race at the time, but that doesn't make it right. Slavery to me is wrong, period. It doesn't make it more wrong when the enslaved is a white man versus a black man. I wouldn't presume to call the author a racist. I think he was painting a realistic picture for the times, and I can't fault him for it. I personally find the idea of racial superiority offensive, and it can slap me in the face even in the context of a historical work. Overall it was a pebble in my shoe as I read, but not so much I couldn't read the book.

Otherwise, I enjoyed this novel. I've always had a yen for pirate stories, and it's great to go back and read a classic in the genre. Rafael Sabatini is an author who writes this type of story well, so I'll be back to read more of his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Blood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sammis I have that book on my TBR... along with a bunch of other Sabatinis.

Lynda Have you read Scaremouche, it is his best book in my opinion. I liked this one too.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Not yet, Lynda. But I will. Glad to hear you liked it more, because I'm looking forward to Scaramouche.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Great review, Lady D.

message 8: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review Dr D. Sea Hawk and Scaramouche are my other faves.

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper If you liked this one, Lady D (Dr?), you'd like Ramage by Dudley Pope. It is a good read as well.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Hugh. I added Ramage to my list. :)

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper I've observed a lot of your reviews (and been very impressed and excited to read them). I'd hazard a guess to say that Ramage, for an older work (if not a classic) is the kind of thing I noticed you like (it's just a guess really).

Of course, I liked Captain Blood too. Thank you for the review, Lady D.

April I just started this book ever the weekend, and I am very excited about it. I can't wait to get to the piratey parts!