Chy's Reviews > Taltos

1917722
Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in August, 2012

And here I know you can see the cool cover that is terribly inaccurate. From Vlad's curly hair to its color, to his clean-shaven face to the dragon-thing-that-is-so-not-Loiosh on his arm. I would like the cover, if it weren't so terribly, terribly inaccurate.

Anyway. This is my favorite book of the series, as well as one of my favorite books ever. I realize, now, that a good portion of my feelings for it stem from knowing the rest of the series. A lot of that comes from reading the first three and knowing where Vlad's coming from.

Which is funny, when you consider that, chronologically, this is "first."

There's too much to say, here.

Basically, though, I hear so many say how these books aren't "well written." I suppose that's true---but if they were the most well written books on the block, they'd suck. They'd be completely untrue. And so they're perfect. This one especially. And that's really something.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taltos.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila I believe I own this book. It's...somewhere around here. I remember starting to read it, but I'd only gotten a couple pages in before something happened and I put it down and never saw it again. Hrm. I do recall that the cover was different - it was just a dragon-ish thing, no Vlad. I kind of want to read it now.

message 2: by Chy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chy Hmm. If it's only got the dragon-thing on it, it may be Athyra. I am going to do my review of that one soon. Umm, yeah. No way in hell I'd recommend that one to someone who's read nothing else in the series. Perhaps ironically, if someone was only going to read ONE book before Athyra, it should be Taltos.

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Double-hmm. I just looked at all the covers here on GR and saw at least three that looked almost like my memory of the book. I'll find it around here, somewhere.

message 4: by Chy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chy Yeah, I just started on Dragon and noticed its cover also features just the-thing-that's-not-really-Loiosh, and then went digging and realized there are quite a few.