Victor Luo's Reviews > Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace

Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story by D.T. Max

5782041
Oct 11, 12

As an aspiring writer who's admittedly not a Wallace expert, but an avid Wallace admirer, encountering and enjoying the initial sensations of his starkly mad but rational and honest prose as one of the most important guideposts in contemporary writing, I loved this introduction to Wallace's life and the musings of "the man behind the behemoth books." For reviewers who felt details of Wallace's personal life unnecessary, I felt were completely necessary, as it plays that vital organizing role to what Wallace was struggling with all along, communicating the recursiveness of his interiority into physical being, wanting to be "fucking human," desperately admiring redemption and faith but confronting oceans of doubt and despair. Given that I haven't read everything of Wallace's, and granted only once (I don't know when I'll dive into Infinite Jest again), I probably can't appreciate the full complexity of his prose as other Wallace fans might, which is all well and good because I think that each tile in the mosaic of thought that is DFW's work deserves to be recognized by a seasoned pro. But as an amateur who looks in awe at the extent to which he desires his prose to be different and honest, to actually consider redemption as a serious subject, I found that this biography did a good job in outlining just how one mind got to that point. Granted, the latter years after Infinite Jest felt rushed in this bio, but I forgave it because it did a good job painting the path that led to IF.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story.